Former USU coordinator Dave Aranda wants his new team, Wisconsin, to attack
Smart. Thinker. Not reserved. Attacker.
These are all words, courtesy of his former players, to describe one-time Utah State defensive coordinator Dave Aranda. He is now at Wisconsin, joining former Utah State head coach Gary Andersen's Badgers staff after Aranda spent one season in Logan.
"He doesn't believe in 'bend but don't break,'" Utah State linebacker Jake Doughty told the Milwaukee Wisconsin Journal Sentinel. "He wants to put pressure on people. If you have an offense that can just sit back there all day, they're going to eventually score points.
"He wants to attack. He wants to get pressure on the quarterback every single play, regardless of the circumstances. That is his mindset, to come from every angle so they don't know where you are coming from."
It was that type of mentality that helped the Aggies become one of the nation's more dominant defenses in 2012, ranking seventh nationally in scoring defense after giving up 15.4 points per game. Part of that success came from Utah State ranking first in the country in opponent red zone conversion percentage, allowing other teams to score inside its own 20 just 63.4 percent of the time.
Aranda wants to take that dogged defensive attitude to his new team. Last year, Wisconsin averaged 2.21 sacks per game, just over one less per game than Utah State's 3.23. The Aggies also ranked seventh nationally in that category.
"He's the maddest scientist of all," Andersen said of Aranda on Thursday during the head coach's media day press conference.
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30, Mendenhall...
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a...
- Steve Nash fans among Utah Jazz saddened by...
- Who's in? Breaking down the high school...
- Former BYU Cougar and returned missionary...
- Live streams: 5A and 4A girls soccer state...
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- Suspended Utah football player sentenced for...
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30,... 88
- Dick Harmon: Utes climb on big stage;... 75
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 52
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a... 47
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 33
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some... 26
- Utes picked to finish 2nd in Pac-12... 24
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 21