Christie and Paul deserve our thanks, not just our jokes
Mel Evans, ASSOCIATED PRESS
The ongoing media feud between prominent GOP members Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., and New Jersey Governor Chris Christie has certainly given late night comedy show hosts much in the way of joke material. But Richard Grenell at Fox News is claiming that the back and forth exchange of insults and barbs is in fact furthering the discourse of the GOP policy on foreign aid, something that we should be thanking the two for rather than just making jokes about.
“A healthy debate is unfolding within the Republican Party on foreign policy and national security,” Grenell writes. “In a time of domestic belt-tightening to reign in government deficits topping $16 trillion, many are raising a critical question: can the United States continue to afford its status as a global leader, or can it not afford to lose it. The debate is nothing new.”
Although accounting for somewhat less than 1 percent of the annual federal budget, foreign aid remains a hot-button issue for politicians whose home districts are filled with people worrying about their local economy rather than the stability of Pakistan or other Third World countries. Yet at the same time, the stability of nuclear armed Pakistan is actually a really big deal.
“So how to proceed? The answer is somewhere in the middle. Foreign aid, a fraction of total U.S. spending and more than thirty times less than the amount we spend on military obligations every year, is a relative bargain for the foreign influence we must maintain to keep American safe and secure. “
“Nevertheless, we can’t lose sight of the fact that we must live within our means and that foreign aid, like domestic spending, must not go to failing or unaffordable programs.”
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Jay's Jokes: Trump's true identity is Batman
- In our opinion: Utah's unique response to the...
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day
- Ralph Becker: Reaching for the best of the...
- George F. Will: Adding Pence the pliable to...
- My view: Supporting Utah's public education...
- Charles Krauthammer: Notes from Cleveland:...
- Richard Davis: What will Americans... 39
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 36
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 34
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 30
- Letter: Acting presidential 28
- Letter: Cruz took a stand 25
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies... 22
- In our opinion: Planned Parenthood... 22