U.S. Marine's good deed goes viral after he helps 9-year-old during 5K
Seal of Honor Facebook photo
Marine Lance Cpl. Myles Kerr didn't expect to go viral just for running in the Jeff Drenth Memorial 5K in Michigan over the weekend, but after he reached out to help 9-year-old Boden Fuchs during the race, that's exactly what happened.
Kerr, who has been a Marine for nine months, began the race with a group of fellow Marines but dropped back to help Fuchs, who had become separated from his group.
"He was walking when I ran by him," Kerr told ABC News. "I looked at him and said, 'Hey, little guy, you all right?' And he said, 'Will you run with me?’ ”
The Marine stayed by Fuch's side for the rest of the race, urging him on and helping him find his family after they finished. Kerr finished last in the male 17-19 age group with a time of 34:58, while Fuchs finished seventh in his age group with a time of 34:53.
The story began to go viral after a friend posted a picture of Kerr and Fuchs online. A few days later, Kerr's story was being told on Good Morning America, The Huffington Post and more. A post on the Seal of Honor Facebook page has now been shared more than 57,900 times, commented on more than 11,700 times and "liked" more than 240,000 times.
The author of the Seal of Honor post said Kerr's action "reflected great credit upon himself and was keeping in the highest traditions of the United States Marine Corps."
Fuch's family gave him a $100 restaurant gift card as a thank-you for his good deed.
"As a Marine, we try to reach out and help as much as we can," Kerr told ABC News. "I don't think I'm a hero. I was just trying to help."
- 'I am Adam Lanza's Mother' author Liza Long...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are they...
- Racing wildfire engulfs homes in California town
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at opponents
- Scholarship lotteries, popular with everyone,...
- Feds chase treasure hunter turned fugitive
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on state...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 66
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- Obama 'confident' of Islamic State... 19
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 12
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 11
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 10
- Can Obama wage war without consent of... 5
- Rare snowstorm slams Rockies states,... 5