Seal of Honor Facebook photo
Marine Lance Cpl. Myles Kerr didn't expect to go viral just for running in the Jeff Drenth Memorial 5K in Michigan over the weekend, but after he reached out to help 9-year-old Boden Fuchs during the race, that's exactly what happened.
Kerr, who has been a Marine for nine months, began the race with a group of fellow Marines but dropped back to help Fuchs, who had become separated from his group.
"He was walking when I ran by him," Kerr told ABC News. "I looked at him and said, 'Hey, little guy, you all right?' And he said, 'Will you run with me?’ ”
The Marine stayed by Fuch's side for the rest of the race, urging him on and helping him find his family after they finished. Kerr finished last in the male 17-19 age group with a time of 34:58, while Fuchs finished seventh in his age group with a time of 34:53.
The story began to go viral after a friend posted a picture of Kerr and Fuchs online. A few days later, Kerr's story was being told on Good Morning America, The Huffington Post and more. A post on the Seal of Honor Facebook page has now been shared more than 57,900 times, commented on more than 11,700 times and "liked" more than 240,000 times.
The author of the Seal of Honor post said Kerr's action "reflected great credit upon himself and was keeping in the highest traditions of the United States Marine Corps."
Fuch's family gave him a $100 restaurant gift card as a thank-you for his good deed.
"As a Marine, we try to reach out and help as much as we can," Kerr told ABC News. "I don't think I'm a hero. I was just trying to help."
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls...
- WestJet airline video goes viral as Santa...
- 50 things you might not know about 15 of your...
- Sexual harassment? Colorado school suspends...
- Looking beyond the premium is a 2-tiered...
- Companies make CEO changes in U.S. and Canada
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 126
- Judge orders Colo. cake-maker to serve... 122
- Health care debate about presidential... 24
- Space and religion: How believers view... 24
- Can Mandela's legacy revive the GOP? 14
- The American Dream is still alive for... 10
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing... 10
- 'Deseret News Sunday Edition' looks at... 10