U.S. Marine's good deed goes viral after he helps 9-year-old during 5K
Seal of Honor Facebook photo
Marine Lance Cpl. Myles Kerr didn't expect to go viral just for running in the Jeff Drenth Memorial 5K in Michigan over the weekend, but after he reached out to help 9-year-old Boden Fuchs during the race, that's exactly what happened.
Kerr, who has been a Marine for nine months, began the race with a group of fellow Marines but dropped back to help Fuchs, who had become separated from his group.
"He was walking when I ran by him," Kerr told ABC News. "I looked at him and said, 'Hey, little guy, you all right?' And he said, 'Will you run with me?’ ”
The Marine stayed by Fuch's side for the rest of the race, urging him on and helping him find his family after they finished. Kerr finished last in the male 17-19 age group with a time of 34:58, while Fuchs finished seventh in his age group with a time of 34:53.
The story began to go viral after a friend posted a picture of Kerr and Fuchs online. A few days later, Kerr's story was being told on Good Morning America, The Huffington Post and more. A post on the Seal of Honor Facebook page has now been shared more than 57,900 times, commented on more than 11,700 times and "liked" more than 240,000 times.
The author of the Seal of Honor post said Kerr's action "reflected great credit upon himself and was keeping in the highest traditions of the United States Marine Corps."
Fuch's family gave him a $100 restaurant gift card as a thank-you for his good deed.
"As a Marine, we try to reach out and help as much as we can," Kerr told ABC News. "I don't think I'm a hero. I was just trying to help."
- Ben Barnes, Katherine Heigl in tune in...
- Texas' Perry says disparaging tweet unauthorized
- Lawmakers: Islamic State groups wants to hit US
- No gray area: Beliefs shape firm, disparate...
- Living with Children: Late nights, not school...
- Study claims cave art made by Neanderthals
- US trained Alaskans as secret 'stay-behind...
- Climate study yields bad news for tiny Nevada...
- 10 things to know about corporate... 32
- Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in... 16
- House, Senate intel chiefs press White... 16
- Saudi king says terrorists will reach... 13
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- Freelancers and millennials help usher... 11
- US judge blocks enforcement of new... 9
- Lawmakers: Islamic State groups wants... 8