U.S. Marine's good deed goes viral after he helps 9-year-old during 5K
Seal of Honor Facebook photo
Marine Lance Cpl. Myles Kerr didn't expect to go viral just for running in the Jeff Drenth Memorial 5K in Michigan over the weekend, but after he reached out to help 9-year-old Boden Fuchs during the race, that's exactly what happened.
Kerr, who has been a Marine for nine months, began the race with a group of fellow Marines but dropped back to help Fuchs, who had become separated from his group.
"He was walking when I ran by him," Kerr told ABC News. "I looked at him and said, 'Hey, little guy, you all right?' And he said, 'Will you run with me?’ ”
The Marine stayed by Fuch's side for the rest of the race, urging him on and helping him find his family after they finished. Kerr finished last in the male 17-19 age group with a time of 34:58, while Fuchs finished seventh in his age group with a time of 34:53.
The story began to go viral after a friend posted a picture of Kerr and Fuchs online. A few days later, Kerr's story was being told on Good Morning America, The Huffington Post and more. A post on the Seal of Honor Facebook page has now been shared more than 57,900 times, commented on more than 11,700 times and "liked" more than 240,000 times.
The author of the Seal of Honor post said Kerr's action "reflected great credit upon himself and was keeping in the highest traditions of the United States Marine Corps."
Fuch's family gave him a $100 restaurant gift card as a thank-you for his good deed.
"As a Marine, we try to reach out and help as much as we can," Kerr told ABC News. "I don't think I'm a hero. I was just trying to help."
- The Great War: 100 photos marking 100 years...
- Comic-Con's dark side: Harassment amid the...
- Trial begins for Salt Lake attorney seeking...
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11 museum,...
- Northern California wildfire destroys 10 homes
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all lovers
- Judge rules against Donald Sterling, OKs...
- Be ready for 'prolonged' Gaza war, Netanyahu...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 25
- Feds cap fines for not buying health... 22
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 22
- After government topples crosses in... 18
- Ted Cruz demands answers on FAA flight... 16
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 15
- Varying health premium subsidy amounts... 13