Australian woman spends more than $1,300 for two iPhones, receives actual apples instead
Alexander F. Yuan, Associated Press
BRISBANE, Australia — A woman is left with two expensive apples after she fell for an iPhone scam.
Police say that a 21-year-old woman placed an advertisement on the classifieds website Gumtree, asking if anyone had an iPhone for sale.
A woman replied to the ad, saying she had two iPhones for sale. The two decided to meet at a McDonald's to complete the transaction. According to the Herald Sun, the woman paid $1,500 AUD for the phones ($1,336.35 U.S.) and received "two iPhone boxes that looked new."
The woman failed to check the boxes before leaving, and after returning to her home found the cartons only contained two pieces of fruit.
"Don't stay away because most people are doing the right thing, but be smart about what you buy," senior constable Jess Hopkin told the Herald Sun.
"If something seems too good to be true, it probably is. It's really just common sense."
In June, an Orem woman was scammed into paying $120 for what she thought was an iPhone in a grocery store parking lot. Orem Police Lt. Craig Martinez said the fake phone came in Apple-style packaging with charging accessories and earphones, but the "phone" was a fake.
"When you are buying phones, stereo systems, speakers, don't do it in the parking lot outside of someone's trunk," Martinez said. "It never turns out good, and you never get what you are paying for."
- 5 ways to save money, improve quality of life...
- Why you must teach your children about money
- 25 states with the lowest levels of personal...
- Who’s the boss of your finances?
- 9 startup companies perfect for your family
- Things are looking up in the economy, but not...
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Remodeling? Experts say some projects add to...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate... 13
- U.S. economy grows at scorching 4... 12
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't touch that 529... 8
- Study: 35 percent in US facing debt... 5
- Consumer index climbs to record level... 4
- Plan to simplify 2015 health renewals... 2
- Study: 35 percent in US facing debt... 2
- $1,000 Sovaldi now hepatitis treatment... 2