Laura Seitz, Deseret News
ROY — An 88-year-old Roy man was killed Friday after his car was hit by a FrontRunner train.
The collision took place near 4800 South and 2700 West around 9 a.m. when the driver entered the crossing headed west and stopped on the tracks after the crossing arm lowered behind him, Roy Police Sgt. Curtis Gibson said.
"A FrontRunner train that was northbound struck the vehicle in the crossing," Gibson said. "The driver, unfortunately, was killed in the crash."
It is unclear whether confusion or some kind of medical condition kept the man from driving off the tracks.
The train was apparently decelerating at the time of impact, but still carried the car 100 feet, Gibson said. He identified the victim as Everett Browning. He was the the only occupant of the vehicle.
Gibson said he had yet to speak with the train's operator, but reported that witnesses at the scene saw the car stopped on the crossing before impact.
"They're not sure why he was on the crossing," Gibson said. "That's what we're trying to investigate at this time."
He advised motorists to be aware and avoid similar situations.
"If you do find yourself stuck in the crossing with the arms down, those arms are designed to break away," Gibson said. "You can actually drive through them if you need to. That's a safety feature that's been engineered into those arms."
He said, if needed, motorists can also abandon their vehicles.
According to the Utah Transit Authority, a bus was ferrying passengers from Roy to the station on State Street in Clearfield.
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley detective...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Fatal Draper house fire was intentionally...
- Mitt Romney talks pioneers, family tradition...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Fired West Valley officer's defense team goes...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 25
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 22
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 16
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 16
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 14
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12
- Mitt Romney talks pioneers, family... 10