Paul Sakuma, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Paying for college is hard enough, which is why trying to speak what Inside Higher Ed’s C. Anthony Broh calls the “language of financial aid” with college representatives can feel overwhelming at times.
But as Broh argues in his article “The language of financial aid,” learning how to communicate clearly with college representatives could mean the difference between a positive, informative series of meetings and a stress-filled experience for the parent of a college student.
“Financial-aid speak is a precise language; the verbiage describes what enrollment managers do when they decide about price discounts and eligibility for jobs and loans,” Broh wrote. “Becoming articulate requires years of experience and training.
“When spoken well, it allows financial aid officers to compare pricing among a large number of college applicants from a variety of financial and academic backgrounds.”
Even though Broh advocates for more fluency in financial-aid speak, he also believes college representatives could do more to bridge the communication gap.
“Many education experiments indicate that simple, straightforward explanation about college pricing increases the college-going rate and available college options to low-income families,” he wrote.
“Meaningful communication is a necessary condition for informed choice.”
- 30 Christmas gifts that keep on giving
- The 37 most charitable celebrities
- 3 tips for traveling cheaply
- 16 charitable activities you can do with your...
- Sony hack adds to security pressure on companies
- Why you might want guaranteed asset...
- Questions and answers about traveling to Cuba
- Survey says parents spend $532.87 a month to...
- Is brand loyalty the new religion? 6
- US consumer prices fall in November 4
- Insurers ease 'Obamacare' deadline 3
- Sony hack adds to security pressure on... 3
- Amazon does not have to pay workers for... 2
- 5 purchases you should never put on a... 1
- Why many millennials lack the money to... 1
- Constantly changing online prices stump... 1