Paul Sakuma, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Paying for college is hard enough, which is why trying to speak what Inside Higher Ed’s C. Anthony Broh calls the “language of financial aid” with college representatives can feel overwhelming at times.
But as Broh argues in his article “The language of financial aid,” learning how to communicate clearly with college representatives could mean the difference between a positive, informative series of meetings and a stress-filled experience for the parent of a college student.
“Financial-aid speak is a precise language; the verbiage describes what enrollment managers do when they decide about price discounts and eligibility for jobs and loans,” Broh wrote. “Becoming articulate requires years of experience and training.
“When spoken well, it allows financial aid officers to compare pricing among a large number of college applicants from a variety of financial and academic backgrounds.”
Even though Broh advocates for more fluency in financial-aid speak, he also believes college representatives could do more to bridge the communication gap.
“Many education experiments indicate that simple, straightforward explanation about college pricing increases the college-going rate and available college options to low-income families,” he wrote.
“Meaningful communication is a necessary condition for informed choice.”
- She paid for a family's groceries and got...
- Why do only half of Americans invest in stocks?
- Heavy reliance on US not sustainable,...
- Renovation Solutions: Three renovation...
- Did you file your taxes jointly or...
- April 15 may be Tax Day, but Tax Freedom Day...
- Happiness research inspired one business...
- Where does 'cool' come from?
- Minority of taxpayers pay majority of... 20
- She paid for a family's groceries and... 5
- Did you file your taxes jointly or... 4
- Finally, Congress OKs bill reshaping... 3
- European vacation as much as 25 percent... 3
- Heavy reliance on US not sustainable,... 3
- Happiness research inspired one... 3
- Why do only half of Americans invest in... 3