Paul Sakuma, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Paying for college is hard enough, which is why trying to speak what Inside Higher Ed’s C. Anthony Broh calls the “language of financial aid” with college representatives can feel overwhelming at times.
But as Broh argues in his article “The language of financial aid,” learning how to communicate clearly with college representatives could mean the difference between a positive, informative series of meetings and a stress-filled experience for the parent of a college student.
“Financial-aid speak is a precise language; the verbiage describes what enrollment managers do when they decide about price discounts and eligibility for jobs and loans,” Broh wrote. “Becoming articulate requires years of experience and training.
“When spoken well, it allows financial aid officers to compare pricing among a large number of college applicants from a variety of financial and academic backgrounds.”
Even though Broh advocates for more fluency in financial-aid speak, he also believes college representatives could do more to bridge the communication gap.
“Many education experiments indicate that simple, straightforward explanation about college pricing increases the college-going rate and available college options to low-income families,” he wrote.
“Meaningful communication is a necessary condition for informed choice.”
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Why babies are expensive, but could save you...
- Phone lines are open: Customers camp out for...
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,...
- Home Depot breach affected 56M debit, credit...
- Yellen says US families need to boost savings
- Burger King Japan's latest meal is the new black
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 39
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 27
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 20
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Financial interventions don't work 7
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are... 4
- Dave Ramsey says: Tips for stretching... 4
- Child poverty just dropped for the... 4