HARRISVILLE, Weber County — A 15-year-old boy was killed late Thursday when he was struck by a pickup while riding a skateboard.
Kristopher Collins, who went by "Kit," was an ambitious teen with four paper routes, the boy's father, Marty Collins, said. Kit's friends "came out of the woodwork" when they learned about the accident, he said. A group of about 20 teens showed up at the family's house at 4 a.m. Friday and offered to cover Kit's paper route, Marty Collins said.
Kit was one of two North Ogden teenagers riding in the southbound lane of Washington Boulevard near 1450 North when the accident occurred around 10 p.m. Thursday, Harrisville Police Chief Maxwell Jackson said. It was dark at the time, and the driver apparently didn't see the skateboarders.
"The driver's statement to us was that they just appeared, it was dark and gave him very little reaction time," the chief said. "He swerved, he missed one of them, and impacted the one that was closest to the middle of the travel lane."
Jackson said the driver of the truck immediately stopped, ran to help the teen and performed CPR until paramedics arrived. The teenager died as a result of his injuries.
The second teen wasn't injured in the accident.
"We don't know why they decided they wanted to go into the travel lane," Jackson said. "That will all come out when we question the other youth."
Police took a blood sample from the driver of the truck but do not suspect drugs or alcohol were involved.
As the investigation continues, Marty Collins has questions about the accident, specifically whether the driver stopped and rendered aid. He hopes "both sides of the story" will eventually be sorted out.
Contributing: McKenzie Romero
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Police release names of officers involved in...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Motorcyclist critically injured in Roosevelt...
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge drinking...
- 'To this day, I don't believe I did it': War...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 133
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 42
- New definition of homeless would give... 31
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 23
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20