Police: Truck swerves to miss car, crashes into home
Derek Petersen, Deseret News
SANDY — Police are investigating a crash that sent a truck into the living room of a home Friday morning.
The crash occurred just before 8 a.m. Friday when a truck headed west on 8530 South near 300 East swerved to avoid a car that made a right-hand turn into his path, Sandy Police Sgt. Jon Arnold said. The move sent the vehicle into the living room of a basement apartment of a fourplex on the southwest corner of the intersection.
Arnold said the lone occupant of the home had already left for work at the time. The driver of the truck was transported to Alta View Hospital with minor injuries.
"It was more precautionary than anything serious," Arnold said.
Building inspectors were at the home Friday to evaluate the structural integrity of the residence. Officials were also working to remove the truck.
Police said the truck driver had the right of way when the vehicle made the right turn into his path. The driver of that vehicle, described as an elderly female in an older model Oldsmobile Cutlass, would have been looking east before turning, leading police to believe the sun may have obstructed her view of the oncoming truck, Arnold said.
Police were hoping to talk to the driver of the other vehicle involved to question them about the crash, he said.
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- New Salt Lake County ordinance mandates pet...
- Most wanted fugitive arrested in West Valley...
- UVU now the largest university in Utah, new...
- Could elephants' 'superhero' cancer guardian...
- Vernal woman takes plea deal in child abuse case
- Thousands get in on blue foam craze for...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 58
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 41
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 41
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 32
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 24
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 19
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17