Police: Truck swerves to miss car, crashes into home
Derek Petersen, Deseret News
SANDY — Police are investigating a crash that sent a truck into the living room of a home Friday morning.
The crash occurred just before 8 a.m. Friday when a truck headed west on 8530 South near 300 East swerved to avoid a car that made a right-hand turn into his path, Sandy Police Sgt. Jon Arnold said. The move sent the vehicle into the living room of a basement apartment of a fourplex on the southwest corner of the intersection.
Arnold said the lone occupant of the home had already left for work at the time. The driver of the truck was transported to Alta View Hospital with minor injuries.
"It was more precautionary than anything serious," Arnold said.
Building inspectors were at the home Friday to evaluate the structural integrity of the residence. Officials were also working to remove the truck.
Police said the truck driver had the right of way when the vehicle made the right turn into his path. The driver of that vehicle, described as an elderly female in an older model Oldsmobile Cutlass, would have been looking east before turning, leading police to believe the sun may have obstructed her view of the oncoming truck, Arnold said.
Police were hoping to talk to the driver of the other vehicle involved to question them about the crash, he said.
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- About 22,000 items stored as stolen property...
- Seeking social media 'likes' could cause...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 56
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 23
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17