UVU golf: Nyhus qualifies for USGA Senior Women's Amateur Championship
PARK CITY, Utah - Utah Valley University head women's golf coach Sue Nyhus qualified for the USGA Senior Women's Amateur Championship on Thursday by tying for first at the U.S. Senior Women's Amateur Qualifier at the Jeremy Golf and Country Club in Park City, Utah.
Nyhus fired a 4-over (76) on Thursday to tie for the U.S. Senior Women's Amateur Qualifier title with Kareen Markle. No tiebreaker was necessary, however, as the top two finishers both qualified.
"This has been a bucket list item of mine because I have had the great opportunity to play in every USGA event they offer except for this one," said Nyhus, who qualified for the senior tournament in her first year that she was eligible to compete in it. "I've played in the USGA Girl's Junior, the Women's Amateur, the Mid Amateur, the U.S. Open, the State Team Tournament and this was the only one left for me.
"I've been thinking about this one for a long time so having the chance to qualify today really meant a lot to me."
The USGA Senior Women's Amateur will take place in San Martin, Calif., at the CordeValle Golf Course on Sept. 21-26. CordeValle will be set up at 5,894/5,968 yards and will play to a par of 36-36 - 72.
Nyhus, who turned 50 in February, is no stranger to USGA Championships as she represented Utah in five USGA Women's Team Championships and was the runner-up at the USGA Women's Amateur Public Links in 1999.
The USGA Senior Women's Amateur Championship is open to female amateurs who have reached their 50th birthday by Sept. 21 and who have a USGA Handicap Index not exceeding 18.4. The USGA accepted 538 entries for the 2013 USGA Senior Women's Amateur, just five shy of the record set in 2006 and 2010.
CordeValle has hosted the Frys.com Open on the PGA Tour since 2010. The PGA Cup was also hosted by CordeValle in 2011, and the annual Gifford Collegiate Championship is conducted at the course. The 2013 USGA Senior Women's Amateur will be the first USGA competition conducted at CordeValle.
Nyhus was also in action at the Utah Golf Association Senior Amateur earlier in the week and placed second at the tournament by shooting a 6-over (76-74 - 150). The UGA Women's Senior Amateur was held Monday and Tuesday (July 29-30) at the Park City Golf Club. For more information about the USGA Senior Women's Amateur visit the USGA website.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 89
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 74
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 38
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34