Other than the thanks of the children and families that live in his community, he’s likely not going to receive a lot of recognition for what he and his colleagues do to give back, but they continue to do it. In fact, this particular event has happened every spring for the last 13 years — and provided more than 3,500 children with new winter clothes. I think the Rotary Club and the local businesses are really doing something meaningful to help their community.
Bountiful isn’t the only place stuff like this happens either. Rotary Clubs, local businesses and town councils all over Utah work together by sponsoring pancake breakfasts, car shows, picnics, neighborhood cleanups and other events to help their communities thrive and grow.
Not only are the small businesses in our communities (some we likely even ignore) collectively the biggest single job creators in the country, but they also step up when it counts and give back to the cities and towns where they live.
I know that big businesses give back to the community, too. I don’t want to diminish the value of their contributions. I just like the idea of how the barbershops, mechanics and local restaurants quietly join together without a lot of fanfare and regularly contribute to the places we live.
I think small businesses in Utah make a big impact. What are you going to do this week to support a local small business?
As a main street business evangelist and marketing veteran with more than 25 years in the trenches, Ty Kiisel writes about leading people and small-business issues for lendio.com.
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The Interview'...
- Survey says parents spend $532.87 a month to...
- Groups launch lawsuit over Tesoro refinery plan
- Russians rush to stores to pre-empt price rises
- How grandparents can save for their...
- US consumer prices fall in November
- Amazon does not have to pay workers for time...
- AP sources: NFL employees turn over phone,...
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The... 7
- Is brand loyalty the new religion? 6
- Biggest mailing day of the year means... 5
- US consumer prices fall in November 4
- Wells Fargo providing $15K grants to... 4
- Insurers ease 'Obamacare' deadline 3
- Keystone pipeline to top Senate agenda... 3
- AP sources: NFL employees turn over... 3