Other than the thanks of the children and families that live in his community, he’s likely not going to receive a lot of recognition for what he and his colleagues do to give back, but they continue to do it. In fact, this particular event has happened every spring for the last 13 years — and provided more than 3,500 children with new winter clothes. I think the Rotary Club and the local businesses are really doing something meaningful to help their community.
Bountiful isn’t the only place stuff like this happens either. Rotary Clubs, local businesses and town councils all over Utah work together by sponsoring pancake breakfasts, car shows, picnics, neighborhood cleanups and other events to help their communities thrive and grow.
Not only are the small businesses in our communities (some we likely even ignore) collectively the biggest single job creators in the country, but they also step up when it counts and give back to the cities and towns where they live.
I know that big businesses give back to the community, too. I don’t want to diminish the value of their contributions. I just like the idea of how the barbershops, mechanics and local restaurants quietly join together without a lot of fanfare and regularly contribute to the places we live.
I think small businesses in Utah make a big impact. What are you going to do this week to support a local small business?
As a main street business evangelist and marketing veteran with more than 25 years in the trenches, Ty Kiisel writes about leading people and small-business issues for lendio.com.
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- UTOPIA mayors looking for alternative method...
- Utah company being considered to stop...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't make comparisons when...
- 7 benefits of taking vacation time
- Officials to authorize construction on...
- A tough label to chew on: What does...
- Emerging solar plants scorch birds in mid-air
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000... 11
- Proposed collector natural gas lines in... 7
- Twitter tries to block images of James... 6
- Utah exceeds Gov. Herbert's jobs goal 6
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't make... 5
- A tough label to chew on: What does... 4
- UTOPIA mayors looking for alternative... 4
- Utah company being considered to stop... 3