Darron Cummings, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Austin Collie is working out for the San Francisco 49ers today, according to the Sacramento Bee.
A league source told the Bee that free agent wide receivers Collie and Laurent Robinson are working out for the NFC champion 49ers, who are dealing with a variety of injuries among their group of wideouts.
Collie, who was released by the Colts after spending his first three NFL seasons in Indianapolis, also worked out for the 49ers on June 13.
Collie and Robinson, who both have dealt with concussion issues throughout their NFL careers, have worked out for several teams recently. Collie worked out for the Patriots earlier this summer, and the Jets and Dolphins in the past week and a half.
According to the Bee, Collie has been working out in Utah this summer. The former BYU wideout had his 2012 season cut short after playing just one game when he suffered a torn patella tendon.
San Francisco is down several players at wide receiver, including proven starters Michael Crabtree and Mario Manningham, who both began training camp on the physically unable-to-perform list. Crabtree underwent surgery for a torn Achilles in May and Manningham went down with a torn ACL near the end of the 2012 regular season.
Among the remainder of the 49ers wide receiving corp, Kyle Williams, A.J. Jenkins, Kassim Osgood and Quinton Patton are also injured, the Bee reported.
Because the team is so decimated at the position, Vernon Davis, San Francisco's starting tight end, has been lining up at wide receiver.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- BYU basketball: 3 players record...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up just...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Utah Jazz: A few slices of holiday spirit...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's prep roundup
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- Power rankings: Pac-12, WCC, MWC men's...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 188
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 88
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 58
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50