Source: Former BYU standout Austin Collie working out for the 49ers
Darron Cummings, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Austin Collie is working out for the San Francisco 49ers today, according to the Sacramento Bee.
A league source told the Bee that free agent wide receivers Collie and Laurent Robinson are working out for the NFC champion 49ers, who are dealing with a variety of injuries among their group of wideouts.
Collie, who was released by the Colts after spending his first three NFL seasons in Indianapolis, also worked out for the 49ers on June 13.
Collie and Robinson, who both have dealt with concussion issues throughout their NFL careers, have worked out for several teams recently. Collie worked out for the Patriots earlier this summer, and the Jets and Dolphins in the past week and a half.
According to the Bee, Collie has been working out in Utah this summer. The former BYU wideout had his 2012 season cut short after playing just one game when he suffered a torn patella tendon.
San Francisco is down several players at wide receiver, including proven starters Michael Crabtree and Mario Manningham, who both began training camp on the physically unable-to-perform list. Crabtree underwent surgery for a torn Achilles in May and Manningham went down with a torn ACL near the end of the 2012 regular season.
Among the remainder of the 49ers wide receiving corp, Kyle Williams, A.J. Jenkins, Kassim Osgood and Quinton Patton are also injured, the Bee reported.
Because the team is so decimated at the position, Vernon Davis, San Francisco's starting tight end, has been lining up at wide receiver.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Video: Improbable final play lifts Maple...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury
- Kansas City Royals turn to former BYU pitcher...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball tournament...
- Curtain raiser: Quin Snyder Era begins in...
- Poppinga has endured dark times before, hopes...
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 87
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 77
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 58
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 57
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- High school football: State tournament... 42
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 41
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 35