Source: Former BYU standout Austin Collie working out for the 49ers
Darron Cummings, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Austin Collie is working out for the San Francisco 49ers today, according to the Sacramento Bee.
A league source told the Bee that free agent wide receivers Collie and Laurent Robinson are working out for the NFC champion 49ers, who are dealing with a variety of injuries among their group of wideouts.
Collie, who was released by the Colts after spending his first three NFL seasons in Indianapolis, also worked out for the 49ers on June 13.
Collie and Robinson, who both have dealt with concussion issues throughout their NFL careers, have worked out for several teams recently. Collie worked out for the Patriots earlier this summer, and the Jets and Dolphins in the past week and a half.
According to the Bee, Collie has been working out in Utah this summer. The former BYU wideout had his 2012 season cut short after playing just one game when he suffered a torn patella tendon.
San Francisco is down several players at wide receiver, including proven starters Michael Crabtree and Mario Manningham, who both began training camp on the physically unable-to-perform list. Crabtree underwent surgery for a torn Achilles in May and Manningham went down with a torn ACL near the end of the 2012 regular season.
Among the remainder of the 49ers wide receiving corp, Kyle Williams, A.J. Jenkins, Kassim Osgood and Quinton Patton are also injured, the Bee reported.
Because the team is so decimated at the position, Vernon Davis, San Francisco's starting tight end, has been lining up at wide receiver.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Best of the West: Shifting teams around after...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Morning links: ESPN's Chad Ford draft...
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes still outstanding from...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 62
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 37
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Utes get it done at home again 21
- Masina, Gustin develop friendship that... 20
- Matt Carlino playing much the same at... 19