Thoughts and prayers abound online for Mormon missionary killed in Guatemala (+video)
"It is amazing to me to see how much impact one person can have. Over the past few days I've shed tears of sorrow and tears of joy as I have reflected on the life of my friend Josh Burton and his sudden passing. Just tonight we received an email from a friend who lives in Australia. She has never met Josh yet as she has followed our Facebook posts. She has since started listening to his music," Holthe wrote.
"Josh even though you have left us for a time, your missionary spirit and influence live on. You my friend are touching the hearts of people all over the world. What a great tribute to your mom and dad. What a great example you are to us all."
Some family members have also shared their memories and thoughts about the influences they felt from Elder Burton.
He always had so much love and was amazing at sharing it," Elder Burton's cousin Talia Jade Pitcher wrote. "He made everybody feel like they were his best friend and like they were the only one in his world when he would look into their eyes and talk to them."
A close family friend also recently blogged about the experience. She described the pain she felt after first learning of the news, as well as the comfort the Burton family has continued to feel.
"As we knelt in prayer with this incredible family Josh’s father tenderly related, 'When we told the kids, we gathered like this. We sang 'Families Can Be Together Forever' and said a prayer,’” Naomi Pedersen wrote. "With tears he looked at us all and my heart nearly burst with sadness when he simply stated, 'I am so grateful that singing and praying together is something that is familiar to us.' Gently reminding me that it is those small and simple daily things that you do with your family that binds them to you in times of distress."
- Utah company films aerial video of renovated...
- First two stakes mark milestone as LDS Church...
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house tickets...
- Defending the Faith: But what of those who...
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- IRS agrees to investigate churches that...
- Ebola outbreak prompts evacuation of LDS...
- 10 reasons religious education belongs in school
- Defending the Faith: But what of those... 34
- IRS agrees to investigate churches that... 33
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a... 30
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 21
- 10 reasons religious education belongs... 21
- 10 reasons a traditional marriage is... 19
- First two stakes mark milestone as LDS... 17
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house... 9