Man wanted for allegedly kidnapping, abusing teen boy
OGDEN — An arrest warrant has been issued for a man who police say kidnapped and sexually abused a 14-year-old boy.
Police were looking Thursday for Ryan Mitchell Schaffer, 33, for investigation of aggravated kidnapping, a first-degree felony, and three counts of unlawful sexual activity with a minor, all third-degree felonies.
On July 3, investigators say Schaffer approached a 14-year-old boy as the teen stepped off FrontRunner at 2393 S. Wall Ave. and forced him at knife point to go with him, according to an arrest warrant.
For the next three days, the boy told police that Schaffer took him to several locations and was forced at gunpoint to perform sex acts at least three times.
Schaffer told residents at 675 32nd St. that the boy was his cousin, according to court records. It was unknown whether the residents were friends or relatives of Schaffer.
At another undisclosed location, Ogden police said, the teen escaped after he was left unattended for a moment.
John Harvey, Ogden's deputy director of support services, said the boy was not reported missing during the time he was gone. Harvey said the boy was not from Ogden and declined to release any further details about him.
In 2007, Schaffer was convicted of two counts of sexual exploitation of a minor, both second-degree felonies, in exchange for eight other counts being dismissed. He was sentenced to six months in jail and required to register as a sex offender.
In May 2012, Schaffer was convicted on an amended charge of attempting to not register as a sex offender and giving false information to police.
Schaffer was required in February to update his sex offender registration, according to court documents. But when investigators went to his last known address, his mother said he had moved out of state, though she refused to say where he went. Because no other state had record of him moving into their area, Schaffer was charged July 30 in 2nd District Court with failing to register as a sex offender.
He is known to travel from North Ogden to Salt Lake City, Harvey said. Police are asking the public to be on the lookout for him and for young boys to be cautious around FrontRunner and TRAX stations, he said.
Anyone with information on Schaffer's whereabouts can call police at 801-395-8221.
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while lunging...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Deputies fish out 4 cars from Pineview Reservoir
- Chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia sufferers...
- 'They killed my son because he's black,'...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Friends, family, strangers gather at vigil...
- 2 girls abducted in Bountiful escape in...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 76
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 57
- Utah makes final plea for Supreme Court... 53
- Taylorsville teacher injured after her... 47
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 42
- Do guns belong in the hands of... 39
- Grand America to pay $2M fine for... 24
- Vail Resorts buys Park City Mountain... 16