Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
Tom Holmoe announced today via Twitter that the BYU football team will wear its throwback royal blue uniforms for the game against the University of Utah, traditionally the state's highest-profile matchup of the college football season.
Today's tweet confirms rumors that began circulating in mid-July that BYU's retro royal blue uniforms would be making an appearance during the 2013 season.
BYU last wore its royal blue uniforms in 2009 against the University of Utah and the Oregon State Beavers in the Las Vegas Bowl, the final two games of the season. The Cougars won both games.
The 2009 game against the University of Utah was the last time BYU defeated the Utes. The Cougars did so in dramatic fashion, Andrew George catching the winning touchdown in overtime. Since then, the University of Utah has won three straight games in the rivalry series.
The 2009 Las Vegas Bowl was much less dramatic. BYU took the lead against the Beavers when Matt Bauman recovered a fumbled lateral and took it 34 yards to the house. It was over when Max Hall threw a 15-yard touchdown pass to Manase Tonga in the opening minutes of the fourth quarter to give the Cougars a 30-point lead. After Oregon State's initial touchdown, BYU ran off 37 unanswered points, culminating in BYU's catch.
Concerning BYU's uniform selection over the last 15 years, BYU has a colorful history to say the least. BYU abandoned the royal blue uniform following the 1999 season and adopted a navy blue scheme with gold trim. The scheme lasted for five seasons (2000-04) before being replaced by a navy version of BYU's classic oval-Y in 2005.
From a business standpoint, the switch to a navy version of the classic oval-Y look has been a business success for BYU. The differing color schemes, including the black uniforms used during the 2012 season for the homecoming game against Oregon State, have been a subject of much discussion among the BYU faithful.
The announcement of BYU's uniform selection comes two days before BYU opens up its fall camp. BYU will begin the season Aug. 31 on the road against the University of Virginia.
- BYU basketball: 3 players record...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up just...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Utah Jazz: A few slices of holiday spirit...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's prep roundup
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- Power rankings: Pac-12, WCC, MWC men's...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 188
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 88
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 58
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50