Utah State Aggies, BYU Cougars receive votes in the USA Today Coaches Poll
, Tom Smart, Deseret News
The results of the first nationwide college football poll have been released, and according to voters, the Utah State Aggies are just barely the best football team in the state of Utah.
Meanwhile, Alabama resumed its reign atop the poll, looking to defend its two consecutive BCS national championships. Alabama has won the national title three of the last four years, and the last four BCS National Championships have been won by a team from Alabama; the only interruption in the Crimson Tide's roll came in 2010 when Auburn won the title.
Pollsters heavily favored teams from the SEC, Big Ten and Pac-12. Six teams from the Southeastern Conference were ranked in the poll, all at 13 or above. Both the Big Ten and the Pac-12 have five teams each in the preseason poll.
Pollsters ranked Oregon the best team in the Pac-12 at No. 3, but Stanford was ranked right behind the Ducks at No. 4. UCLA, USC and Oregon State are the other three teams in the top 25, coming in at 21, 24 and 25, respectively.
The only team from the Mountain West in the Top 25 was Boise State, ranked at No. 19 nationally. Fresno State came in at 31st, and San Jose State came in at 41st.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 108
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 71
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 53
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 43
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is... 21