Utah State Aggies, BYU Cougars receive votes in the USA Today Coaches Poll
, Tom Smart, Deseret News
The results of the first nationwide college football poll have been released, and according to voters, the Utah State Aggies are just barely the best football team in the state of Utah.
Meanwhile, Alabama resumed its reign atop the poll, looking to defend its two consecutive BCS national championships. Alabama has won the national title three of the last four years, and the last four BCS National Championships have been won by a team from Alabama; the only interruption in the Crimson Tide's roll came in 2010 when Auburn won the title.
Pollsters heavily favored teams from the SEC, Big Ten and Pac-12. Six teams from the Southeastern Conference were ranked in the poll, all at 13 or above. Both the Big Ten and the Pac-12 have five teams each in the preseason poll.
Pollsters ranked Oregon the best team in the Pac-12 at No. 3, but Stanford was ranked right behind the Ducks at No. 4. UCLA, USC and Oregon State are the other three teams in the top 25, coming in at 21, 24 and 25, respectively.
The only team from the Mountain West in the Top 25 was Boise State, ranked at No. 19 nationally. Fresno State came in at 31st, and San Jose State came in at 41st.
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48