Police searching for man following high-speed chase
TAYLORSVILLE — Police on Thursday were looking for a man who allegedly led officers on a chase Wednesday night before eventually abandoning his vehicle and running away.
Just before 10 p.m., a Unified police officer spotted a Camaro leaving a gas station at 5600 S. Redwood Road at a high rate of speed, cross three lanes of traffic and run a red light, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
The driver did not stop when the officer attempted to pull him over and continued onto I-215. While on the freeway, several items were thrown out of the vehicle's window, including what appeared to the officer to be a gun, Hoyal said. As of Thursday, a weapon had not been recovered.
Suspecting that the driver may have committed an armed robbery at the gas station, the officer continued pursuing the vehicle, Hoyal said.
The driver exited the freeway near 3500 South, stopped his vehicle on a nearby residential street, got out and ran. Detectives found two women, ages 20 and 29, remaining in the vehicle. Hoyal said the relationship between the women and the driver was not known.
Investigators were looking for 26-year-old Justin Archer in connection with the chase.
Court records show Archer was charged in three separate felony cases in 2012, pleading guilty to felonies in two of them and an amended misdemeanor charge in the third.
The convenience store was not robbed.
- Relatives of Springville family 'shocked and...
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Mother and son charged in drive-by shooting...
- Bus driver charged in death of 10-year-old...
- A parent's worst nightmare: When a fever...
- Family of slain 18-year-old pleads for...
- Body cameras have played roles in 2...
- Litter left by target shooters in Hobble...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 89
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer... 52
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 46
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 40
- Granite School District reaches... 22
- New poll shows more support for Sen.... 20
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for... 16