Police searching for man following high-speed chase
TAYLORSVILLE — Police on Thursday were looking for a man who allegedly led officers on a chase Wednesday night before eventually abandoning his vehicle and running away.
Just before 10 p.m., a Unified police officer spotted a Camaro leaving a gas station at 5600 S. Redwood Road at a high rate of speed, cross three lanes of traffic and run a red light, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
The driver did not stop when the officer attempted to pull him over and continued onto I-215. While on the freeway, several items were thrown out of the vehicle's window, including what appeared to the officer to be a gun, Hoyal said. As of Thursday, a weapon had not been recovered.
Suspecting that the driver may have committed an armed robbery at the gas station, the officer continued pursuing the vehicle, Hoyal said.
The driver exited the freeway near 3500 South, stopped his vehicle on a nearby residential street, got out and ran. Detectives found two women, ages 20 and 29, remaining in the vehicle. Hoyal said the relationship between the women and the driver was not known.
Investigators were looking for 26-year-old Justin Archer in connection with the chase.
Court records show Archer was charged in three separate felony cases in 2012, pleading guilty to felonies in two of them and an amended misdemeanor charge in the third.
The convenience store was not robbed.
- Teen in Springville family found dead left...
- For his brothers: American Fork family with 4...
- President Obama's immigration reforms seek to...
- LDS Church releases renderings of final Provo...
- Redistribution of homes begins in Utah FLDS town
- Officer, suspect taken to hospital following...
- Woman thanks rescuer who pushed her away from...
- Utah business leaders say Congress must solve...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 60
- Sen. Mike Lee: Congress needs to remind... 55
- America needs heroes, Mitt Romney tells... 55
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 54
- Utah business leaders say Congress must... 45
- Woman wears colander for driver's... 35
- Pope announces U.S. visit, greets... 34
- Former presidential candidate Mitt... 32