TAYLORSVILLE — Police on Thursday were looking for a man who allegedly led officers on a chase Wednesday night before eventually abandoning his vehicle and running away.
Just before 10 p.m., a Unified police officer spotted a Camaro leaving a gas station at 5600 S. Redwood Road at a high rate of speed, cross three lanes of traffic and run a red light, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
The driver did not stop when the officer attempted to pull him over and continued onto I-215. While on the freeway, several items were thrown out of the vehicle's window, including what appeared to the officer to be a gun, Hoyal said. As of Thursday, a weapon had not been recovered.
Suspecting that the driver may have committed an armed robbery at the gas station, the officer continued pursuing the vehicle, Hoyal said.
The driver exited the freeway near 3500 South, stopped his vehicle on a nearby residential street, got out and ran. Detectives found two women, ages 20 and 29, remaining in the vehicle. Hoyal said the relationship between the women and the driver was not known.
Investigators were looking for 26-year-old Justin Archer in connection with the chase.
Court records show Archer was charged in three separate felony cases in 2012, pleading guilty to felonies in two of them and an amended misdemeanor charge in the third.
The convenience store was not robbed.
- 'Bachelorette' contestant, BYU graduate dies...
- Turkey truck crash will keep aqueduct shut...
- Transcript gives glimpse into deadly...
- Herbert: Embattled Nevada rancher 'not the...
- Mayor wants Hale Center Theatre in South Jordan
- U. student government passes resolution to...
- Vernal man charged with making false sexual...
- Mark Shurtleff says new report based on 'tall...
- U. student government passes resolution... 111
- Utah's new adaptive testing system... 59
- Utah among states with greatest urban... 46
- Gang member shot, killed after lunging... 27
- Doug Robinson: Horrific crimes show the... 23
- Herbert: Embattled Nevada rancher 'not... 22
- Report: Colleagues wondered if A.G.... 21
- GOP resolution calls for partisan... 20