Man arrested after allegedly stealing car with kids in back seat
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A man was arrested Wednesday after police say he drove off in a stolen car with two sleeping children in the back seat.
A woman, who was a relative of the children, was parked at Little Caesars, 805 S. 900 West, about 3:45 p.m. and left the car running while she went in to pick up some pizzas, Salt Lake City Police detective Mike Hamideh said.
A 2-year-old and a 3-year-old were asleep in the back seat, he said.
While the woman was inside, Jeremy Ohm, 24, drove off in the car, Hamideh said. An officer spotted Ohm near 250 South and 500 West, about 1.5 miles away, and signaled for him to stop.
Ohm did not attempt to flee, but he didn't stop immediately, Hamideh said.
Ohm was taken into custody without incident, and the children were returned safely, he said. There was no connection between Ohm and the mother.
Ohm struck a car as he drove off in the stolen vehicle and will be investigated for a hit-and-run accident, vehicle theft and kidnapping, Hamideh said.
The relative was inside the store for a short time and likely won't face any neglect charges, but "there's a bit of a cautionary tale here," Hamideh said.
"A lot of times we believe we can quickly run in and run an errand and leave the children in the car," he said. "That's dangerous on two accounts. One being this case, and another being that if that car wasn't left running, in this kind of heat, that could be very dangerous for the children."
- Can you name your U.S. Representative? See...
- Hope in a crisis: School, community leaders...
- Teen who murdered 2 brothers pleads guilty in...
- Some GOP House members disagree with blocking...
- Officer in parade controversy speaks out on...
- Prosecutors: Woman killed girlfriend with 46...
- Five sites now under consideration for new...
- Police raid empty Salt Lake house after...
- Officer in parade controversy speaks... 260
- Gov. Herbert: 'Let chips go where they... 70
- Gov. Herbert increases pressure on... 52
- Illinois professor could help Utah... 42
- Officer was justified in shooting man... 35
- House Speaker Greg Hughes kills hopes... 32
- House panel approves bill to require... 26
- Prophets and presidents: 11 noteworthy... 23