Real Salt Lake notebook: Midfielder Javier Morales named to inactive MLS All-Star roster
Rick Bowmer, AP
SANDY — Real Salt Lake midfielder Javier Morales was named to the 2013 MLS All-Star inactive roster Wednesday afternoon.
Morales was one of 12 players on the list, marking the Argentine's third selection as an MLS All-Star.
He was Real Salt Lake’s fourth All-Star selection this year, joining teammates Kyle Beckerman, Tony Beltran and Nick Rimando.
The veteran midfielder was unaware of the selection before reporters asked him about it following RSL's training session Wednesday. Morales said he was honored to be selected by his fellow peers in MLS.
“It’s not a big deal for me. It makes me feel good that Tony, Nick and Kyle (are) getting the opportunity to play (Wednesday),” said Morales. “I respect the MLS game. I think it’s good for people, but I’m not playing every game to be an All-Star. I’m playing every game to help my team.”
Morales leads Real Salt Lake and is tied for third in MLS with seven assists. Morales has also contributed five goals, tied for second among RSL players.
RSL defender Nat Borchers said his team's playmaker deserved to be picked.
"Very deserving. Javier is having a great season. He’s carried us on the field with the way he’s played," said Borchers. "So, definitely very happy for him. He deserves that."
THE COIN IS THE STAR: Another coin flip, another opportunity for RSL.
The club hosts Portland this coming Wednesday in the semifinals of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, and if it wins that game, a coin flip has determined the club would host the championship game.
RSL has been fortunate to have four consecutive coin flips go its way during the 2013 Open Cup.
If RSL beats Portland, the championship game would be played Oct. 1 at Rio Tinto Stadium. Portand and RSL have never advanced to an Open Cup final, which means the championship will be hosted in a new location.
Follow Conner on Twitter: TheConner88
- Former Cardinals exec sentenced to 4 years in...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 122
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Morning links: National college... 68
- Report: Houston AD meets with Pac-12... 60
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 49
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 38