UTA service changes include launch of Draper TRAX extension
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Transit Authority announced changes Wednesday to its rail and bus system that will take effect in mid-August.
The changes will include more frequent commuter rail service, the opening of a light rail extension in Draper and enhancements to university bus service in Weber and Salt Lake counties.
Starting Aug. 18, FrontRunner will offer hourly service on Saturdays, with departures changed to match weekday times. In addition, UTA will also launch service on the new Draper TRAX extension. The 3.8-mile line will expand service into Draper providing three new light rail stations to South Valley commuters.
The Draper TRAX Line also will mark the completion of the FrontLines 2015 project, which will add more than 70 miles of new rail lines to the UTA system and is expected to be completed two years ahead of schedule and $300 million under budget, according to the company.
Included in the upcoming list of service improvements will be the new Ogden Fast Bus service for students at Weber State University. Route 650 will travel between the Ogden Transit Center and Weber State University with minimal stops, helping students reach campus 10 minutes faster than using local buses. The route will run every 30 minutes during Weber State’s fall and spring semesters, UTA officials announced. Commuters in Weber and Davis counties will also have added service with Route 473 making another morning southbound trip to assist residents who commute to the University of Utah.
Many of the changes are a direct result of public feedback, according to the agency.
“As we complete the construction of the rail system, we’re turning our attention to improving service for our customers with shorter travel times and better transfer connections,” said UTA Chief Operating Officer Jerry Benson.
Visit www.letsrideuta.com for more information and a full list of changes.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 37
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 26