BYU football: BYU, Fresno State agree to home-and-home series in 2015, 2017
Eugene Tanner, ASSOCIATED PRESS
PROVO — BYU has agreed to a two-game football series with a former Western Athletic Conference rival for a pair of November contests.
BYU and Fresno State announced Wednesday the two teams will play at LaVell Edwards Stadium in Provo on Nov. 21, 2015 and at Bulldog Stadium in Fresno, Calif., on Nov. 4, 2017.
"This is a great regional matchup for our football program," said BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe. "It’s been more than a decade since we played Fresno State. If tradition holds true, fans will be in for a high-scoring game featuring two former Western Athletic Conference foes."
The Bulldogs are now members of the Mountain West Conference. BYU also has future games with other MWC teams in coming years — Boise State, Utah State, Nevada and UNLV.
In 2015, the Cougars will also play Nebraska and Michigan. BYU's 2017 schedule features games against Wisconsin and East Carolina.
BYU and Fresno State have met nine times in football, including five meetings as members of the WAC from 1992-99. The first meeting was on Sept. 22, 1956 in Provo and the last meeting was held at Bulldog Stadium in Fresno, Calif. on Oct. 3, 1998. Fresno State leads the overall series 5-4.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 82
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25