BYU football: BYU, Fresno State agree to home-and-home series in 2015, 2017
Eugene Tanner, ASSOCIATED PRESS
PROVO — BYU has agreed to a two-game football series with a former Western Athletic Conference rival for a pair of November contests.
BYU and Fresno State announced Wednesday the two teams will play at LaVell Edwards Stadium in Provo on Nov. 21, 2015 and at Bulldog Stadium in Fresno, Calif., on Nov. 4, 2017.
"This is a great regional matchup for our football program," said BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe. "It’s been more than a decade since we played Fresno State. If tradition holds true, fans will be in for a high-scoring game featuring two former Western Athletic Conference foes."
The Bulldogs are now members of the Mountain West Conference. BYU also has future games with other MWC teams in coming years — Boise State, Utah State, Nevada and UNLV.
In 2015, the Cougars will also play Nebraska and Michigan. BYU's 2017 schedule features games against Wisconsin and East Carolina.
BYU and Fresno State have met nine times in football, including five meetings as members of the WAC from 1992-99. The first meeting was on Sept. 22, 1956 in Provo and the last meeting was held at Bulldog Stadium in Fresno, Calif. on Oct. 3, 1998. Fresno State leads the overall series 5-4.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25