Father, teen daughter arrested after family fight leads to stabbing
VERNAL — A Uintah County man and his teenage daughter have been arrested after a family fight that deputies said ended when the teen stabbed her father.
Deputies were called about 6 p.m. Tuesday to a home near 9700 North and 8000 East in Tridell on a report of a stabbing, Uintah County Undersheriff John Laursen said.
They found a 38-year-old man holding a makeshift bandage against a knife wound on his upper left thigh. The man told deputies he'd gotten into an argument with his teenage daughter that escalated. He said he had grabbed the girl and thrown her down after she tried to stab him with a spatula, Laursen said.
The 17-year-old girl got up, went into a bedroom and returned with a pocketknife, her father told investigators. Then she stabbed him in the leg before she left the house, the man said.
Deputies found the girl and noticed injuries that were consistent with being "grabbed by the neck more than once," Laursen said. The teen said her father had thrown her to the floor, causing her to strike her head.
The man was taken to a hospital for stitches, then booked into the Uintah County Jail for investigation of child abuse. The teen, whom Laursen said has a history of mental health problems, was also treated at a hospital and then booked into the Split Mountain Youth Detention Center for investigation of aggravated assault.
— Geoff Liesik
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- South Jordan mother spends days caring for...
- Repo man charged with manslaughter in...
- Report: Tourism spending in Utah grew to...
- Herbert appoints new 3rd District Court judge
- Polygamous food stamp fraud trial pushed back...
- Bomb threats called in to 2 Utah schools
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 105
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 40
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 33
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9
- IRS scam goes far beyond a phone call... 8
- San Juan County Commissioner appeals... 8