Father, teen daughter arrested after family fight leads to stabbing
VERNAL — A Uintah County man and his teenage daughter have been arrested after a family fight that deputies said ended when the teen stabbed her father.
Deputies were called about 6 p.m. Tuesday to a home near 9700 North and 8000 East in Tridell on a report of a stabbing, Uintah County Undersheriff John Laursen said.
They found a 38-year-old man holding a makeshift bandage against a knife wound on his upper left thigh. The man told deputies he'd gotten into an argument with his teenage daughter that escalated. He said he had grabbed the girl and thrown her down after she tried to stab him with a spatula, Laursen said.
The 17-year-old girl got up, went into a bedroom and returned with a pocketknife, her father told investigators. Then she stabbed him in the leg before she left the house, the man said.
Deputies found the girl and noticed injuries that were consistent with being "grabbed by the neck more than once," Laursen said. The teen said her father had thrown her to the floor, causing her to strike her head.
The man was taken to a hospital for stitches, then booked into the Uintah County Jail for investigation of child abuse. The teen, whom Laursen said has a history of mental health problems, was also treated at a hospital and then booked into the Split Mountain Youth Detention Center for investigation of aggravated assault.
— Geoff Liesik
- Celebrate summer fun with a photographic look...
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- Southern Utah infant dies after being left in...
- Review board clears Salt Lake police officer...
- Police say son beat 70-year-old father to death
- Proposal: Real Salt Lake would pay for minor...
- Uintah County man accused of assaulting...
- Understanding Israel and Hamas: Why this...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed... 78
- Republican, Democratic political... 49
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort 44
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding'... 33
- Pro-Palestinian crowd rallies in Salt... 33
- Review board clears Salt Lake police... 30
- Lawsuit claims State School Board... 29
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 26