Father, teen daughter arrested after family fight leads to stabbing
VERNAL — A Uintah County man and his teenage daughter have been arrested after a family fight that deputies said ended when the teen stabbed her father.
Deputies were called about 6 p.m. Tuesday to a home near 9700 North and 8000 East in Tridell on a report of a stabbing, Uintah County Undersheriff John Laursen said.
They found a 38-year-old man holding a makeshift bandage against a knife wound on his upper left thigh. The man told deputies he'd gotten into an argument with his teenage daughter that escalated. He said he had grabbed the girl and thrown her down after she tried to stab him with a spatula, Laursen said.
The 17-year-old girl got up, went into a bedroom and returned with a pocketknife, her father told investigators. Then she stabbed him in the leg before she left the house, the man said.
Deputies found the girl and noticed injuries that were consistent with being "grabbed by the neck more than once," Laursen said. The teen said her father had thrown her to the floor, causing her to strike her head.
The man was taken to a hospital for stitches, then booked into the Uintah County Jail for investigation of child abuse. The teen, whom Laursen said has a history of mental health problems, was also treated at a hospital and then booked into the Split Mountain Youth Detention Center for investigation of aggravated assault.
— Geoff Liesik
- LDS missionary critically injured in Oklahoma...
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Utah County teen made 'swatting' threats...
- Odyssey Elementary opens doors for...
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- Water levels in Great Salt Lake approach...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 58
- Utah argues for more time to file... 41
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 34
- Government regulation has become like... 31
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic... 28
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22