Post-free agency power rankings rate Utah Jazz among NBA's worst teams
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
The Utah Jazz have been among the busiest of teams this NBA offseason, overhauling their roster while not re-signing any of their seven free agents.
From drafting former Michigan guard Trey Burke to a three-player trade with Golden State to bringing in veterans like Richard Jefferson and John Lucas III, the 2013-14 Jazz squad will look very different from past seasons.
With so much turnover, Kurt Helin of Pro Basketball Talk rated the Jazz low in his most recent NBA power rankings, where Utah clocks in at No. 27.
Helin said Burke — who he acknowledges is a favorite for Rookie of the Year honors next season — Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter could be the foundation for a good team in the future but "this season they will learn some hard lessons."
The top 5 in the power rankings were, in order: the Miami Heat, the Oklahoma City Thunder, the Indiana Pacers, the L.A. Clippers and the San Antonio Spurs.
A pair of former Jazzmen also appeared in the power rankings. Helin said the Charlotte Bobcats' acquisition of post man Al Jefferson "makes them less bad this coming season, but they are not going to be good." The Bobcats come in at No. 26, a spot ahead of the Jazz.
In Atlanta, Paul Millsap, who spent his first seven years in the NBA with the Jazz, will be a part of a Hawks team that should be similar to last year in terms of wins, Helin said. Atlanta, No. 16 in the rankings, went 44-38 during the 2012-13 season.
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- 15 signs that you're addicted to your Fitbit
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- 4A boys basketball tournament quarterfinal...
- Haws breaks all-time scoring record in 1st...
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest for...
- Morning links: Utah coaching job ranked; NFL...
- Too many turnovers, not enough baskets... 114
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 87
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 80
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 53
- Utah falls to No. 13 in AP poll;... 42
- Dick Harmon: Putting Haws' impending... 37
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 28