AMERICAN FORK — American Fork’s 6-foot-10 center Ryan Andrus announced via Twitter his intentions to enroll at BYU upon graduation.
Andrus averaged 19.3 points per game and 6.5 rebounds per game while showing the capabilities to extend to the perimeter with 19 3-pointers. He exceeded 20 points in 12 games and surpassed 30 points in three outings including a season-high 38 points and 12 rebound performance against Syracuse.
"It really means the world to me to be part of such a great program," Andrus told the Deseret News. "Coach (Dave) Rose has built a winning tradition that will be an honor to be a part of and help continue."
Andrus put off any thought of where he'd commit until he was completely finished with AAU basketball. He finished his final AAU session playing with future Cougar and Lone Peak standout TJ Haws.
"It would be incredible to play with a guy like (Haws)," Andrus said during his final AAU tournament. "It's any big guy's dream to play with a guy who knows the game so well, knows how to get you the ball and when. He's amazing and it would be incredible."
At the time of commitment he held offers from Boise State, Utah and Utah State, but it was BYU which stood out to him most.
"I told myself I wasn't going to think at all about my commitment until after AAU ball and I held to that," Andrus said. "After I started thinking about it BYU became the obvious choice for me. It fits me best in every way -- more so than the other schools who offered me."
Andrus has plans to serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and will do so after playing one year.
"I hope I can get in there and help out right away," he said. "I love the system and I feel I'll fit in well with that system. I'm very excited to help out where I can and excited to be part of such a great program.
- Ranking the best rookie seasons in Utah Jazz...
- Jeff Benedict: Jabari Parker announces...
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay forever
- Surviving the unthinkable: Utah lineman who...
- Forget Kaepernick, Taysom Hill should be...
- BYU football: Baker Pritchard discusses...
- Dick Harmon: Many expect Jabari Parker to...
- Season-ending victory hurts Utah Jazz's...
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after... 56
- BYU football: Cougars land commitment... 54
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker... 47
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Utah football: Utes are eager to pick... 33
- Jeff Benedict: Jabari Parker announces... 25
- Utah Jazz: Jazz suffer weird loss... 24