Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
Some random tidbits about Derrick Favors:
— Power forward, 6-10, 248 pounds, 22 years old (July 15, 1991)
— Led South Atlanta to the Georgia Class AAA state title in 2009; Named Mr. Basketball USA by ESPN; Left Georgia Tech after his freshman season; drafted No. 3 overall by New Jersey Nets in 2010.
— Member of 2013 Team USA minicamp roster; 2012 USA Basketball Select Team; 2012 Rising Star; 2011 All-Rookie second team.
— Favors’ picture was on the back cover of NBA2K13. Fourth-year pro's video game goal: Get on the front cover.
— Jazz players he’s been closest to since being traded to Utah on Feb. 23, 2011? Earl Watson, his seat neighbor on plane trips. “Earl was the first guy I spoke to when I first got traded to the team. He used to give me advice about a lot of stuff, so I’m close to him.” Others: DeMarre Carroll (they had a Georgia-Alabama “Southern connection”) and Marvin Williams, who played in Atlanta when he was a teenager.
— Why he just bought a home in the mountains above Salt Lake City: "I’m still a Southern guy. I’m not a big city guy. I still like my personal space."
— Has he taken to enjoying the outdoor recreational activities along the Wasatch Front? "The only thing I’ve done around Utah is I’ve walked my dog." That'd be his pit bull, Gotti.
— How's his relationship with Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin? “We building on it, yeah."
— On his mindset for the young 2013-14 Jazz team: “When training camp starts, I’ll be ready. I think we’re going to have a good team. We’re going to be young, but I think we’re going to surprise a lot of people.”
— On his mindset with Team USA: “They want to see a big guy who’s going to come out here and direct traffic, pick up on a lot mistakes that the guards are making — a defensive-minded big guy. I wasn’t trying to come out here and put on a scoring clinic.”
— Mother: Deandra Favors; Father: Johnnie Parker (never met); Older sister: Tiffany; Younger brother: Brandon.
— On his two offseason workouts with Jazz big man coach Karl Malone: “When I work out with him, the intensity picks up. (If) you do 10 now, you work out with him, you’ve got to do 20. You shoot 100 shots, now you’ve got to shoot 500 with him.”
— Career-highs: 23 points (twice), 17 rebounds (vs. GSW, March 2012), six blocks (twice), four assists (vs. Lakers, March 2012), three steals (eight times).
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 95
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 79
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 60
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 43
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43