'More Americans than ever' want total smoking ban, and most smokers want to quit
Nati Harnik, Associated Press
Twenty-two percent of Americans want to completely ban smoking in the U.S. and 55 percent said they’d like to prohibit smoking from public areas, according to polling data Gallup released Monday.
Gallup’s Andrew Dugan wrote, “More Americans than ever want to ban smoking outright: 22 percent say so today, up from 12 percent in 2007. Separately, 55 percent would make smoking in all public places totally illegal, also a proposal that has gained considerable support since 2007. Though support is growing, the percentage of Americans wanting to ban smoking entirely remains relatively low.”
Additional Gallup polling revealed Wednesday that 74 percent of U.S. smokers would genuinely like to give up smoking — which, coincidentally, is the mean response Gallup has encountered across 25 years of asking questions along those lines. The average smoker has attempted to quit 3.6 times, and 48 percent of former smokers say the best way to stop smoking is to do it cold turkey.
Last month a study in the scientific journal Tobacco Control estimated increased health care costs and diminished workplace productivity cause employers to pay an extra $5,816 per year for every smoker on the full-time payroll.
- Security breached: Intruder gets into White...
- 'The Voice' returns Monday with Pharrell,...
- Tense hunt in trooper ambush case hits 8 days
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Second man arrested trying to enter White...
- After vote to stay in UK, Scots must heal divide
- Secret Service boosts security outside White...
- Actress detained by police refuses to apologize
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 8
- How much America wants to be taxed 8
- New Jersey loses 4th casino as Trump... 5
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5
- US to assign 3,000 from US military to... 4