'More Americans than ever' want total smoking ban, and most smokers want to quit
Nati Harnik, Associated Press
Twenty-two percent of Americans want to completely ban smoking in the U.S. and 55 percent said they’d like to prohibit smoking from public areas, according to polling data Gallup released Monday.
Gallup’s Andrew Dugan wrote, “More Americans than ever want to ban smoking outright: 22 percent say so today, up from 12 percent in 2007. Separately, 55 percent would make smoking in all public places totally illegal, also a proposal that has gained considerable support since 2007. Though support is growing, the percentage of Americans wanting to ban smoking entirely remains relatively low.”
Additional Gallup polling revealed Wednesday that 74 percent of U.S. smokers would genuinely like to give up smoking — which, coincidentally, is the mean response Gallup has encountered across 25 years of asking questions along those lines. The average smoker has attempted to quit 3.6 times, and 48 percent of former smokers say the best way to stop smoking is to do it cold turkey.
Last month a study in the scientific journal Tobacco Control estimated increased health care costs and diminished workplace productivity cause employers to pay an extra $5,816 per year for every smoker on the full-time payroll.
- California orders churches, others to pay for...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- 2 dead in shooting attack at Canada's Parliament
- Inspector: 'Serious lapse' at Secret Service
- US: IS earns $1M per day in black market oil...
- Government ups air bag warning to 7.8M vehicles
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign of split
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex marriage
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 114
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex... 22
- California orders churches, others to... 20
- On campaign trail, Obama says GOP is... 16
- Expelled Nazis got millions in Social... 10
- At rallies, Obama casts 2014 as key for... 8
- This type of high school can increase... 8
- Kerry: 'Irresponsible' not to aid Kurds... 7