Courtney Orton, Deseret News
ST. GEORGE — Zion National Park has completed a draft Comprehensive Management Plan and Environmental Assessment for portions of the Virgin River in Washington County.
The plan addresses management and protection of those river segments that were added to the National Wild and Scenic River System in 2009. The designation includes segments of the Virgin River, La Verkin Creek, Taylor Creek, and North Creek, including some tributaries in Zion National Park and adjacent Bureau of Land Management wilderness.
The completed plan will provide a framework to guide future resource management and visitor use.
The public is invited to review and comment on the plan and assessment. The document can be reviewed and comments are accepted online at parkplanning.nps.gov/zion. To receive a CD or paper copy of the document, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Comments also can be mailed to: Zion National Park, Attn: Virgin River CMP EA, Springdale, UT 84767. Comments are most helpful if submitted by Sept. 9.
The public is also invited to participate in open house sessions where park staff will provide information on the proposed plan, answer questions and take comments.
All meetings begin at 6 p.m. The meeting dates and locations are: Tuesday, Aug. 20, Dixie Center, 1835 Convention Center Drive, St. George; Wednesday, Aug. 21, Canyon Community Center, 126 Lion Blvd., Springdale; and Thursday, Aug. 22, University Park Marriott, 480 Wakara Way, Salt Lake City.
- Gang member shot, killed after lunging at...
- Utah among states with greatest urban sprawl
- Doug Robinson: Horrific crimes show the thin...
- 'Modern Family' dad opens beer restaurant in...
- Vegas’ water drying up
- Salt Lake Comic Con FanX draws 100,000 attendees
- Man killed in court had tried to prevent...
- Fundraiser established for 2-year-old who was...
- Utah's new adaptive testing system... 58
- Utah among states with greatest urban... 44
- Gang member shot, killed after lunging... 26
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental... 25
- Doug Robinson: Horrific crimes show the... 22
- GOP resolution calls for partisan... 19
- Salt Lake City's inversion problem... 17
- Western states to feds: Turn over... 14