Freshly picked vegetables at their peak of ripeness are very different from the ones that have had to travel a distance to get to the table. There’s only one problem with summer cooking, and that’s turning on the stove or the oven. That’s why most people move the bulk of their cooking outside to a grill. There is another option to grilling.
Behold, your slow cooker!
It keeps your kitchen cool; it’s slow and laid-back, and great for your summer vegetables. The diversity of what’s growing outside in the garden is a great opportunity for expanding culinary horizons. Go to the spice rack, step outside the chili comfort zone and pull out something different. Think culturally diverse, think bold and fresh flavors, and the possibilities are endless.
Tomatoes are the stars of all summer gardens right now, and peppers too. But instead of making Mexican again, we'll experiment with a Mediterranean-flavored dish that will knock your flip-flops off!
Mediterranean Slow-Cooked Garden Stew
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic, diced
½ onion, diced
1 cup chicken stock
4-5 ripe tomatoes, diced
1-2 peppers (For jalapenos, only use one or half of one. If using sweet peppers, add another!)
2 ears of corn (corn shaved from the cob)
A handfull of something green based on what's growing in your garden, like green beans, peas, zucchini or yellow squash; shell it, slice it, peel it or put it in whole (My garden is exploding with okra right now.)
1 tablespoon curry powder
½ teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 pinch of sea salt
pepper to taste
Sauté the onion and garlic until transparent, then add all the sautéed items to the slow cooker with the chicken stock. Add the rest of the vegetables, set your slow cooker to low and stew for one hour.
Serve over cooked rice and enjoy the fruits of your garden.
Silvina Niccum is a young adult fiction writer, a homeschooling mother of three and lives in Dallas. Her email is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Meet the retired nurse who pays women not to...
- Utah man building Disneyland out of Legos...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a...
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah town...
- UTubers: Cast of 'Studio C' plays 'Ultimate...
- The Clean Cut: J.K. Rowling film 'Magical...
- Fight Like Girls group helps women battle...
- Throwback Thursday: Why we are taking the fun...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 36
- Meet the retired nurse who pays women... 24
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 16
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah... 13
- 'Warriors Over the Wasatch' on track to... 10
- Family searches for answers after... 10
- Hollywood's treatment of the disabled... 7