Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps listed among six transfers to watch this season
Tim Sharp, Associated Press
Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps will try to reinvigorate his college football career as he heads into the 2013 season as the starting quarterback at his new home, the University of Kansas.
The junior is grabbing national attention, as Yahoo! Sports blogger Chris Wilson named Heaps one of six transfers who could impact this season. Also on the list is a transfer from USC, Amir Carlisle, who will take on BYU in November with his new team, Notre Dame.
Heaps sat out last season due to transfer rules and watched as Dayne Crist, who had transferred to Kansas from Notre Dame, struggled during Charlie Weis' first year as head coach of the Jayhawks. During the recent Big 12 Football Media Days, Heaps said he was anticipating his return to game action.
"I'm so excited," he said. "It's been long overdue."
Wilson pointed out that Heaps will have help in the backfield with running back James Sims, who rushed for 1,013 yards and nine touchdowns in 2012.
"If Heaps shows why he was once considered a blue-chip recruit, the Jayhawks could have a strong backfield," Wilson wrote.
Carlisle is expected to help the Fighting Irish replace the production of departed running backs Theo Riddick and Cierre Wood. The junior, who has been riddled with injury troubles the past year, made contributions to the USC offense in 2011.
"The tailback was impressing in spring practices, but a broken collarbone kept him out of the Blue-Gold Game," Wilson wrote.
Two other players on Wilson's list were previously on teams BYU plays this year, but they will miss their matchups with the Cougars. Houston running back Charles Sims, who rushed for 846 yards and 11 touchdowns in 2012, transferred to West Virginia, and former Notre Dame defensive end Aaron Lynch, who had 5.5 sacks and 7.5 tackles for loss in 2011, is at South Florida.
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on continued...
- Ranking the best rookie seasons in Utah Jazz...
- Utah cyclist dies Sunday at the age of 23
- Damian Lillard stars in hilarious Adidas ad...
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after...
- Danny Berger and Jordan Stone to play at...
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker reportedly...
- BYU football: Cougars land commitment from...
- BYU football: Cougars land commitment... 50
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after... 47
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker... 44
- ESPN report: Jabari Parker rules out... 42
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Utah football: Utes are eager to pick... 33
- Utah Jazz: Jazz suffer weird loss... 24
- Should the Jazz intentionally lose to... 23