Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps listed among six transfers to watch this season
Tim Sharp, Associated Press
Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps will try to reinvigorate his college football career as he heads into the 2013 season as the starting quarterback at his new home, the University of Kansas.
The junior is grabbing national attention, as Yahoo! Sports blogger Chris Wilson named Heaps one of six transfers who could impact this season. Also on the list is a transfer from USC, Amir Carlisle, who will take on BYU in November with his new team, Notre Dame.
Heaps sat out last season due to transfer rules and watched as Dayne Crist, who had transferred to Kansas from Notre Dame, struggled during Charlie Weis' first year as head coach of the Jayhawks. During the recent Big 12 Football Media Days, Heaps said he was anticipating his return to game action.
"I'm so excited," he said. "It's been long overdue."
Wilson pointed out that Heaps will have help in the backfield with running back James Sims, who rushed for 1,013 yards and nine touchdowns in 2012.
"If Heaps shows why he was once considered a blue-chip recruit, the Jayhawks could have a strong backfield," Wilson wrote.
Carlisle is expected to help the Fighting Irish replace the production of departed running backs Theo Riddick and Cierre Wood. The junior, who has been riddled with injury troubles the past year, made contributions to the USC offense in 2011.
"The tailback was impressing in spring practices, but a broken collarbone kept him out of the Blue-Gold Game," Wilson wrote.
Two other players on Wilson's list were previously on teams BYU plays this year, but they will miss their matchups with the Cougars. Houston running back Charles Sims, who rushed for 846 yards and 11 touchdowns in 2012, transferred to West Virginia, and former Notre Dame defensive end Aaron Lynch, who had 5.5 sacks and 7.5 tackles for loss in 2011, is at South Florida.
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new walk-on...
- BYU coaches happy about development of...
- Tyler Haws' NBA dream path takes a detour to...
- Red and blue recruits: A first look at...
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU...
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- Morning links: Can Cougars snap Cornhuskers'...
- Felt's Facts: Week 2 schedule filled with...
- AP preseason top 25 poll: Utah, BYU... 59
- Morning links: Cougars examined by USA... 56
- Rock On: Sarkisian runs afoul of BYU... 38
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 36
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 26
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 23
- Utah Jazz: Withey, 7-footer with two... 22