Orem man charged with child sex abuse arrested again 4 days after making bail
OREM — An 18-year-old man charged with sexually abusing a child was arrested again for a similar offense just four days after making bail.
Now, Orem police are warning neighbors who live near Nicholas Simmonds not to let their children alone with him should he make bail again.
On May 24, Simmonds was in a yard playing tag with two neighbor children, a 6-year-old girl and 3-year-old boy, in the area of 1100 South and 50 East. He picked up and tickled the girl several times as he chased her, said Orem Police Lt. Craig Martinez.
Eventually, Simmonds took the girl out of the fenced backyard, around the corner between a couple of cars, and rubbed her genitals over her clothing, according to Martinez. He did this two more times during the afternoon, he said.
About a week later, Simmonds was arrested and booked into the Utah County Jail. He was charged in 4th District Court in Provo with three counts of sex abuse of a child, a second-degree felony.
On July 25, Simmonds bailed out of jail and returned home. Just four days later, he was walking near his home when a man, who said he "has tried to be a role model in Nicholas' life," spotted him and asked him if he'd like to do some work with him, a police affidavit filed in 4th District Court states. Simmonds said yes and followed him home.
While at the home, the man became busy and distracted and Simmonds disappeared. The man later learned that Simmons took the man's 6-year-old daughter into the yard during that time and pulled her underwear down, according to the affidavit.
Simmonds was arrested for investigation of lewdness involving a child, a class A misdemeanor. The case was referred to Orem Justice Court.
"He is not a registered sex offender because the previous case is still going through the court process. If he's going to allegedly do something four days after being in jail for the same type of thing, we're concerned he's going to get out again and possibly find another victim. So we want everyone to realize the possibility of this guy getting bailed out again," Martinez said Tuesday.
Bail was set Tuesday on Simmonds' latest arrest at $20,000 cash only.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Police probing what caused deaths of...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- About Utah: Baltic Avenue just bought Boardwalk!
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Body of overdue hiker found in Zion National...
- Tourists rescued after road collapses,...
- Man dies after being shot in the head at Salt...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 77
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Mia Love declines to make joint... 50
- Join the discussion: How libertarian is... 36
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 33
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- 2 Utah companies respond to FDA warning... 18
- Utah to appeal polygamy ruling in... 13