Google textbook service offers new way to save hundreds on college expenses
Marcio Jose Sanchez, AP
Google’s announcement last week of Chromecast — a device that streams online content from smartphones and tablets onto TVs — attracted no small amount of media attention given its potential to be a real game-changer at just $35.
But Google announced another product launch Wednesday that received far less attention, even though it will probably affect far more consumers this year than Chromecast: The Google Play store will soon start selling and renting digital copies of college textbooks — supplies college students spend $655 per year buying, according to the National Association of College Stores.
“Although no information was given about pricing, Google said we will see a ‘comprehensive selection of titles’ from five major publishing houses,” Samantha Murphy reported for tech website Mashable. “Textbooks can be purchased or rented for about six months. Content will also be available up to an 80 percent discount. Some of the major subjects coming to Google's textbook collection will include math, law, accounting and chemistry."
Engadget’s Jon Fingas wrote, “Google Play Textbooks (will be) a dedicated category on the Play Store for learning material. The section will offer titles from the top five publishers, and students will have the choice of renting books for six months in addition to buying them outright. Textbooks should be available this August, and they'll sync across Android, iOS and the Web.”
“The new Google service will compete directly with Amazon, which offers a similar service through its Kindle e-reader devices and mobile apps,” Salvador Rodriguez reported Friday for the Los Angeles Times.
- She paid for a family's groceries and got...
- Volunteer deputy accused of shooting unarmed...
- Happiness research inspired one business...
- Did you file your taxes jointly or...
- April 15 may be Tax Day, but Tax Freedom Day...
- Where does 'cool' come from?
- European vacation as much as 25 percent...
- Why do only half of Americans invest in stocks?
- Are you rich or poor? The answer may be... 21
- Minority of taxpayers pay majority of... 20
- Finally, Congress OKs bill reshaping... 3
- European vacation as much as 25 percent... 3
- Happiness research inspired one... 3
- Did you file your taxes jointly or... 3
- Ask Mr. Dad: How to handle stress of... 2
- Citigroup's earnings rise 21 percent,... 2