Man found hiding in a garage after fleeing, police say
SOUTH SALT LAKE — A man who police say ran and tried to hide from officers following a traffic stop was arrested early Tuesday.
An officer tried to pull over a vehicle near 100 W. Crystal Ave. (2590 South) about 2:45 a.m. because it matched the description of one wanted in a Salt Lake incident, said South Salt Lake Police Sgt. Eric Jensen.
The passenger got out of the car and ran off and the driver sped away. Additional South Salt Lake police officers surrounded the area and just before 4 a.m. found Jordan Fuller Collins, 32, hiding in a partially open garage not far from where he was originally stopped, said South Salt Lake police detective Gary Keller. Investigators believe Collins essentially ran in a circle, ending up close to where the pursuit started.
Collins suffered minor cuts on his arms from climbing fences and running through backyards, Keller said.
In 2012, Collins was convicted on a felony drug charge and sentenced to up to five years at the Utah State Prison, according to Utah state court records. He was convicted of felony burglary and theft in 2008 and also received a prison sentence of up to five years. Collins was also convicted of possession of drug paraphernalia in 2007, a charge that was amended from a felony to a class B misdemeanor. His long criminal records dates back to 1999 when he was convicted of shoplifting in Murray Justice Court, according to court records.
Investigators continued looking Tuesday for the vehicle that was pulled over and the driver. Keller said police believe they knew who they are looking for.
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Doug Robinson: How this woman's focus on...
- Man shot dead in Midvale; alleged shooter in...
- 4 arrested in connection with fatal Cedar...
- Midvale killing may be case of self-defense,...
- Pregnant woman killed in collision with...
- Man shot in crowded Liberty Park during...
- See all the photos from the big Pioneer Day...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 80
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 65
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17