Man found hiding in a garage after fleeing, police say
SOUTH SALT LAKE — A man who police say ran and tried to hide from officers following a traffic stop was arrested early Tuesday.
An officer tried to pull over a vehicle near 100 W. Crystal Ave. (2590 South) about 2:45 a.m. because it matched the description of one wanted in a Salt Lake incident, said South Salt Lake Police Sgt. Eric Jensen.
The passenger got out of the car and ran off and the driver sped away. Additional South Salt Lake police officers surrounded the area and just before 4 a.m. found Jordan Fuller Collins, 32, hiding in a partially open garage not far from where he was originally stopped, said South Salt Lake police detective Gary Keller. Investigators believe Collins essentially ran in a circle, ending up close to where the pursuit started.
Collins suffered minor cuts on his arms from climbing fences and running through backyards, Keller said.
In 2012, Collins was convicted on a felony drug charge and sentenced to up to five years at the Utah State Prison, according to Utah state court records. He was convicted of felony burglary and theft in 2008 and also received a prison sentence of up to five years. Collins was also convicted of possession of drug paraphernalia in 2007, a charge that was amended from a felony to a class B misdemeanor. His long criminal records dates back to 1999 when he was convicted of shoplifting in Murray Justice Court, according to court records.
Investigators continued looking Tuesday for the vehicle that was pulled over and the driver. Keller said police believe they knew who they are looking for.
- 3 children, Ogden doctor die after boat...
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked...
- Street sweeper driver killed in Uintah County...
- Families protest at final prison relocation...
- Lawmaker says 'political will' is to move...
- Utah defends anti-polygamy law, saying it...
- Police identify man found dead near Jordan River
- Driver who killed teen while using phone asks...
- Koch brothers group launches campaign... 54
- Families protest at final prison... 41
- Census report: Utah still last in... 24
- Elder L. Tom Perry — an... 22
- 3 children, Ogden doctor die after boat... 21
- Jammed highway lights fire under Arches... 19
- Lawmaker says 'political will' is to... 19
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked... 18