ROY — Utah coach Larry Krystkowiak again scored big on the local recruiting front, landing a commitment from Roy High's Brekkott Chapman.
Chapman is a prospect who had close to 30 offers at the time of his commitment, including offers from BYU, Utah State, Gonzaga University, UCLA and Arizona State. The 6-foot-8 forward averaged 19 points and 8.6 rebounds last season and was recently listed as the no. 49 recruit nationally by ESPN.
Chapman's commitment comes a year and half after Krystkowiak made his first in-state recruiting splash and secured the services of West Jordan's Jordan Loveridge, who was widely regarded as the state's top prospect for 2012.
"I really like Utah and I've grown real close to the coaches there," Chapman told the Deseret News just before his commitment. "They've been recruiting me harder than anyone, and I've definitely spent the most time visiting there and communicating with the coaches there than with any school that is recruiting me."
Chapman has been impressed with Utah's progress as a program and likes the prospect of playing with Loveridge.
"I'm good friends with Jordan, and I'd love to play with him for sure," he said. "I believe Utah is a program on the rise, and I'd love to be part of that."
Chapman will bring an unselfish attitude to Utah which has served him well in his development according to his AAU coach Lynn Lloyd.
"It's never been just about him -- it's all about the team for Brekkott and that's one of his best qualities," Lloyd said. "He's a tireless worker who has made big strides in every year that I've coached him. He's worked real hard on his outside shot and that's probably the biggest improvement he's made. I believe he'll be a great addition to Utah's program and I couldn't be happier for him."
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of 3-pointers,...
- High school boys basketball: TJ Haws' career...
- David Stockton, son of John, saves the day...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- High school boys basketball: Underdog...
- About Utah: All the mac and cheese they can eat
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 84
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 67
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 57
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for... 43
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- CougarLinks: BYU picked to win WCC... 28
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26