ROY — Utah coach Larry Krystkowiak again scored big on the local recruiting front, landing a commitment from Roy High's Brekkott Chapman.
Chapman is a prospect who had close to 30 offers at the time of his commitment, including offers from BYU, Utah State, Gonzaga University, UCLA and Arizona State. The 6-foot-8 forward averaged 19 points and 8.6 rebounds last season and was recently listed as the no. 49 recruit nationally by ESPN.
Chapman's commitment comes a year and half after Krystkowiak made his first in-state recruiting splash and secured the services of West Jordan's Jordan Loveridge, who was widely regarded as the state's top prospect for 2012.
"I really like Utah and I've grown real close to the coaches there," Chapman told the Deseret News just before his commitment. "They've been recruiting me harder than anyone, and I've definitely spent the most time visiting there and communicating with the coaches there than with any school that is recruiting me."
Chapman has been impressed with Utah's progress as a program and likes the prospect of playing with Loveridge.
"I'm good friends with Jordan, and I'd love to play with him for sure," he said. "I believe Utah is a program on the rise, and I'd love to be part of that."
Chapman will bring an unselfish attitude to Utah which has served him well in his development according to his AAU coach Lynn Lloyd.
"It's never been just about him -- it's all about the team for Brekkott and that's one of his best qualities," Lloyd said. "He's a tireless worker who has made big strides in every year that I've coached him. He's worked real hard on his outside shot and that's probably the biggest improvement he's made. I believe he'll be a great addition to Utah's program and I couldn't be happier for him."
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Former Ute player among those invited to work...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 51
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 47
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 42
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 12
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8
- Utah State basketball: Aggie men to... 6