PROVO, Utah — BYU women’s volleyball head coach Shawn Olmstead released the 2013 schedule Monday, which includes matchups with six 2012 NCAA tournament teams.
“We look forward to the upcoming competitions of 2013,” Olmstead said. “Our girls are excited and working to build on last year. We like who we will be competing against in the non-conference segment of our schedule and of course anticipate another exciting year in the WCC.”
BYU launches the season with tournaments at Bowling Green and Portland State, during which the Cougars will meet the likes of Creighton, Marquette and Fresno State. At the Portland State tournament, BYU will once more meet Oklahoma after defeating the Sooners in the second round of last season’s NCAA tournament. BYU will then have a road stint at UVU before returning to Provo for the home opener Sept. 10 against Montana State. The Cougars also host UC Irvine following the home opener.
The 2013 Deseret First Duel takes place at Utah’s Crimson Court on Sept. 17 at 7 p.m. MDT on the PAC-12 Network. BYU has won the Duel in both of the two previous matchups.
The Cougars start conference play with a rematch of last season’s final league contest as they welcome San Diego to the Fieldhouse on Sept. 20. Last season BYU tied the Torreros for the West Coast Conference title after San Diego won the five-set final conference match Nov. 17. The rematch is part of a three-match home stint that includes contests with Saint Mary’s and new league member Pacific.
BYU then travels to California for its first conference road trip, facing Pepperdine on ESPNU and Loyola Marymount the first week of October. After a one-week home spell, the Cougars hit the road again for a two-week, four-match trip from the Pacific Northwest down to the San Francisco Bay area, taking on Portland, Gonzaga, Pacific and Saint Mary’s. The Pacific match will be broadcast on ESPNU.
The last two home matches against Gonzaga and Portland fall Nov. 14 and 16, respectively. After a bye on Nov. 21, BYU travels south to end conference play the same way it began it — with a matchup against San Diego on Nov. 23 on the Torreros’ home court.
BYUtv will broadcast 10 of the Cougars’ home matches.
For specific match times, visit the 2013 women’s volleyball schedule page.
Rachel Hawks is a sports information director for BYU Athletic Communications.
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- BYU coach Shawn Olmstead provided calming...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Cougars gain a lot over Final Four weekend...
- BYU's seniors know trip won't be complete...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record... 19
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off... 19
- Miracle Bowl, 34 years later: I don't... 17
- Stewart has brought back an identity... 16