Mother, boyfriend charged in severe baby abuse case
MIDVALE — A Midvale man accused of severely abusing a 6-month-old child was charged Monday with trying to kill the infant. The baby's mother was charged with not reporting the alleged abuse.
Juan Manuel Duran Jr., 44, was charged in 3rd District Court with attempted aggravated murder and aggravated sexual abuse of a child, first-degree felonies, in addition to five counts of child abuse, a second-degree felony.
Duran was arrested July 13 at the apartment where he was living with Jade Olson, 7923 S. Main, after she told police she caught him trying to suffocate her 6-month-old son with a towel. Prior to officers arriving, Duran made comments about the baby like he "wished he was dead," and that he should "just throw him out the (expletive) window," according to charging documents.
When the infant was taken to the hospital, doctors discovered the child had many other injuries consistent with being abused, including "many externally visible marks and bruises on various locations of his body," five bruises across his forehead "apparently from inflicted blows to his head," multiple "inflicted bite marks" on his neck, fractured ribs, a fracture in his arm, and bruising near his scrotum, according to the charges.
"(The infant) could easily have been killed and was at extreme risk of death or disability from the actions of an adult caregiver," a doctor told prosecutors.
Olsen admitted to investigators that she was "aware of (Duran) abusing (her child) for the last few months and has not reported it. She stated she was in fear for her own well-being and so she never reported any of (the boy's) injuries or did anything about it," charging documents state.
Because prosecutors said she was aware of the abuse but did nothing about it, they charged Olsen with intentional child abuse, a second-degree felony.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Fallen hiker had passion for the outdoors,...
- City officals say North Salt Lake not liable...
- West Jordan, Murray residents search for...
- Provo company creates program that filters...
- Police search for new public enemy No. 1:...
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 55
- Vernal man claims police arrested him... 37
- Utah argues for more time to file... 33
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22
- Provo company creates program that... 16