Mother, boyfriend charged in severe baby abuse case
MIDVALE — A Midvale man accused of severely abusing a 6-month-old child was charged Monday with trying to kill the infant. The baby's mother was charged with not reporting the alleged abuse.
Juan Manuel Duran Jr., 44, was charged in 3rd District Court with attempted aggravated murder and aggravated sexual abuse of a child, first-degree felonies, in addition to five counts of child abuse, a second-degree felony.
Duran was arrested July 13 at the apartment where he was living with Jade Olson, 7923 S. Main, after she told police she caught him trying to suffocate her 6-month-old son with a towel. Prior to officers arriving, Duran made comments about the baby like he "wished he was dead," and that he should "just throw him out the (expletive) window," according to charging documents.
When the infant was taken to the hospital, doctors discovered the child had many other injuries consistent with being abused, including "many externally visible marks and bruises on various locations of his body," five bruises across his forehead "apparently from inflicted blows to his head," multiple "inflicted bite marks" on his neck, fractured ribs, a fracture in his arm, and bruising near his scrotum, according to the charges.
"(The infant) could easily have been killed and was at extreme risk of death or disability from the actions of an adult caregiver," a doctor told prosecutors.
Olsen admitted to investigators that she was "aware of (Duran) abusing (her child) for the last few months and has not reported it. She stated she was in fear for her own well-being and so she never reported any of (the boy's) injuries or did anything about it," charging documents state.
Because prosecutors said she was aware of the abuse but did nothing about it, they charged Olsen with intentional child abuse, a second-degree felony.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- Who should pay? City, developer, residents at...
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Body in suitcase is not missing Provo woman,...
- Wedding put on hold after BYU student kicked...
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage' behind...
- 11 signs you're a Jeep driver
- Opposing sides of same-sex marriage... 125
- Outcome of same-sex marriage case hard... 54
- Stewart, Bishop launch group to take... 37
- Herbert, legislative leaders starting... 29
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 21
- 2 Utah chiefs with Baltimore ties say... 19
- Provo businessman declines push to run... 19