Jeremy Evans, who’s been with the Jazz longer than any player this side of Hayward, could also work his way into steady playing time in both forward spots. The lengthy 6-9 player’s offensive game is gaining more confidence, and he simply befuddles opponents with his athleticism.
CENTER: This will be the Jazz’s youngest position, seeing as 21-year-old Enes Kanter is going to get his opportunity to step out of Al Jefferson’s shadow and play a major role.
Kanter’s health is a concern, however, due to the season-ending shoulder surgery he underwent last spring. The 6-11 center’s rehab continues to progress — he’s ahead of schedule by all accounts — but it’ll be on Kanter to work all the harder to get his basketball game to move forward once he’s back in full shape.
French big Rudy Gobert, the 7-foot-1 center with a 7-foot-9 wingspan, showed promising glimpses at summer league. While he’s certain to cause opposing offenses grief, the 21-year-old has a limited offensive game and could find life difficult against bulkier post players.
It wouldn’t be a surprise if the Jazz bring in another big man — via a trade or a fall-camp signee.
Despite the funky roster makeup — one that again has a bunch of contracts that will or could expire next summer — Favors and Hayward both said they’re excited to begin playing.
"It’s going to be a challenge, for sure," Hayward said. "We’re going to have to learn from our mistakes and try not to make them again and again."
"We’ve just got to come in and work harder," Favors added. "Obviously, we’re going to have to adjust, but it should be fun. It’ll be exciting."
- Commentary: Long-term success in independence...
- BYU basketball: Cougars face No. 21 UMass in...
- 2014 NBA draft tracker: An ongoing look at...
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom Hill,...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- Utah Jazz: Rip City, all right...
- Utah State football: Immovable Aggies face...
- Utah Jazz: Banner day coming for Jerry Sloan
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 101
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 57
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 53
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 48
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 46