LOGAN — Cleanup of an oil spill continued Sunday along a canal in the North Logan/ Hyde Park area.
Saturday night, Cache County officials discovered that the top coat of oil applied to a road construction project had washed away during a rainstorm that night and into a nearby canal. The oil carried over a five mile section of the canal.
Bear River Health Department spokeswoman Jill Parker said Sunday morning that the amount of oil that spilled into the canal was still being calculated.
The spill was contained and diverted late Saturday night into a field near Highway 91. Parker said drinking water in the area was never immediately in risk. Several departments were assisting with the cleanup Sunday.
Residents who notice their irrigation water is brown or has an unusual order were told not to water their properties.
A press conference was scheduled for 3:30 p.m. Sunday to update residents on the situation.
Information will be updated as it becomes available.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Boston-bound airline pilot from West Jordan...
- Vernal man charged after 2 bizarre burglaries...
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Layton man attempts to duct tape, rape woman,...
- Chaffetz calls speaker bid a long shot, may...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be named...
- SUU flight instructors die in plane crash...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 54
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 37
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 30
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 19
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 15
- State says it will fund Planned... 14
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters... 14