LOGAN — Cleanup of an oil spill continued Sunday along a canal in the North Logan/ Hyde Park area.
Saturday night, Cache County officials discovered that the top coat of oil applied to a road construction project had washed away during a rainstorm that night and into a nearby canal. The oil carried over a five mile section of the canal.
Bear River Health Department spokeswoman Jill Parker said Sunday morning that the amount of oil that spilled into the canal was still being calculated.
The spill was contained and diverted late Saturday night into a field near Highway 91. Parker said drinking water in the area was never immediately in risk. Several departments were assisting with the cleanup Sunday.
Residents who notice their irrigation water is brown or has an unusual order were told not to water their properties.
A press conference was scheduled for 3:30 p.m. Sunday to update residents on the situation.
Information will be updated as it becomes available.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked...
- 3 children, Ogden doctor die after boat...
- Photos: A photographic look at Elder L. Tom...
- Koch brothers group launches campaign against...
- Couple arrested in Louisiana for $114K theft...
- Wind-fueled fire rips through large Draper home
- Body found near Jordan River trail in Salt...
- Police identify man found dead near Jordan River
- Koch brothers group launches campaign... 49
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 47
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks... 34
- Grantsville residents tell Prison... 27
- Elder L. Tom Perry — an... 22
- Jammed highway lights fire under Arches... 18
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked... 17
- Watchdog group accuses Utah lawmaker of... 14