WEST VALLEY CITY — An 18-year-old man was gunned down and killed in a shooting that police believe was gang-related.
Anthony Hernandez was walking with a group of four to five others near 3100 South and 4300 West about 10:20 p.m. Saturday when two vehicles pulled up to them.
The two groups said a few words to each other that included "gang references," said West Valley Police Sgt. Jason Hauer. Four to five shots were then fired, striking Hernandez multiple times, he said. Though still under investigation Sunday, Hauer said it appeared one passenger in one of the vehicles fired all of the rounds.
Hernandez was taken to a local hospital and later pronounced dead at 2 a.m. Sunday.
One of the alleged vehicles involved in the incident was a Silver Nissan Armada SUV. Hauer said detectives were able to locate that driver and question him. As of Sunday morning, that driver had not been arrested.
The search continued for two others last seen driving a white four-door vehicle. Hauer said witnesses were being cooperative but much of their information included vague descriptions.
Hauer could not immediately say Sunday what lead up to the shooting or if it was part of an ongoing rival gang situation or dispute specifically involving Hernandez.
Anyone with information on the incident can call police at 801-840-4000.
Additional information will be posted when available.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- President Obama to make first trip to... 114
- Obama expected to stay overnight in... 53
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 41
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 41
- School leaders look for solutions to... 26
- Cyclist killed on training run after... 23
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 15
- San Diego woman wins damages against... 15