WEST VALLEY CITY — An 18-year-old man was gunned down and killed in a shooting that police believe was gang-related.
Anthony Hernandez was walking with a group of four to five others near 3100 South and 4300 West about 10:20 p.m. Saturday when two vehicles pulled up to them.
The two groups said a few words to each other that included "gang references," said West Valley Police Sgt. Jason Hauer. Four to five shots were then fired, striking Hernandez multiple times, he said. Though still under investigation Sunday, Hauer said it appeared one passenger in one of the vehicles fired all of the rounds.
Hernandez was taken to a local hospital and later pronounced dead at 2 a.m. Sunday.
One of the alleged vehicles involved in the incident was a Silver Nissan Armada SUV. Hauer said detectives were able to locate that driver and question him. As of Sunday morning, that driver had not been arrested.
The search continued for two others last seen driving a white four-door vehicle. Hauer said witnesses were being cooperative but much of their information included vague descriptions.
Hauer could not immediately say Sunday what lead up to the shooting or if it was part of an ongoing rival gang situation or dispute specifically involving Hernandez.
Anyone with information on the incident can call police at 801-840-4000.
Additional information will be posted when available.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- Man killed in avalanche had a passion for...
- Cities, state battle panhandling through the...
- The story of a fish, a river and what's ahead...
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias measure
- Judge: Biological father will share custody...
- Body of man, 51, discovered outside Cedar City
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 56
- National, local businesses file briefs... 54
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Judge: Biological father will share... 27
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 24
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 21
- Local religious leaders urge support... 20