CEDAR CITY — Pounding rain wreaked havoc in Iron County, flooding streets, filling basements, knocking out power and caving in the roof of a large business Saturday.
A total of 2.25 inches of water fell at the Cedar City airport in less than three hours, breaking the all-time daily record of 2.1 inches set back in September 1967, according to the National Weather Service.
That water rushed down streets and into homes. All available officers with the Cedar City Police Department and Iron County Sheriff's Office were on hand helping to clean up the mess.
"Pretty much the whole city was affected by it," Cedar City Police Sgt. Jerry Womack said. The storm left stop lights dark and rushing water forced some temporary road closures.
Womack confirmed a collapsed roof at MetalCraft Technologies, 400 N. 1400 West, was likely brought on by the heavy rains. The company manufactures aerospace components, according to an online profile.
No one was inside the building at the time, and the collapse was discovered by a responding maintenance worker, Womack reported.
Womack was unsure how many homes took on water in Cedar City, or in Enoch where he lives.
"I think Enoch got hit a little harder," Womack said, grateful his home was spared this time around. "We took steps last year in August to make sure it didn't happen again."
The combined rain, wind and lightning knocked out power to two substations just after 6 p.m., leaving 5,700 residents in Cedar City and Enoch in the dark. All power was restored to the area by 8:30 p.m., a Rocky Mountain Power spokesman reported.
- Relatives of Springville family 'shocked and...
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Mother and son charged in drive-by shooting...
- Salt Lake County lands on Top 10 list of...
- Body cameras have played roles in 2...
- A parent's worst nightmare: When a fever...
- New poll shows more support for Sen. Mike Lee
- Utah family into film, acting, directing and...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 89
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer... 50
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 44
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 39
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 32
- Granite School District reaches... 22
- New poll shows more support for Sen.... 20