CEDAR CITY — Pounding rain wreaked havoc in Iron County, flooding streets, filling basements, knocking out power and caving in the roof of a large business Saturday.
A total of 2.25 inches of water fell at the Cedar City airport in less than three hours, breaking the all-time daily record of 2.1 inches set back in September 1967, according to the National Weather Service.
That water rushed down streets and into homes. All available officers with the Cedar City Police Department and Iron County Sheriff's Office were on hand helping to clean up the mess.
"Pretty much the whole city was affected by it," Cedar City Police Sgt. Jerry Womack said. The storm left stop lights dark and rushing water forced some temporary road closures.
Womack confirmed a collapsed roof at MetalCraft Technologies, 400 N. 1400 West, was likely brought on by the heavy rains. The company manufactures aerospace components, according to an online profile.
No one was inside the building at the time, and the collapse was discovered by a responding maintenance worker, Womack reported.
Womack was unsure how many homes took on water in Cedar City, or in Enoch where he lives.
"I think Enoch got hit a little harder," Womack said, grateful his home was spared this time around. "We took steps last year in August to make sure it didn't happen again."
The combined rain, wind and lightning knocked out power to two substations just after 6 p.m., leaving 5,700 residents in Cedar City and Enoch in the dark. All power was restored to the area by 8:30 p.m., a Rocky Mountain Power spokesman reported.
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting...
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Police make arrest in death of 59-year-old...
- Western states to feds: Turn over public lands
- Film about man's crusade against child sex...
- Top 10 spring activities for Utah families
- Students test interactive experiences ahead...
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 90
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 78
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 27
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed;... 24
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 23
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental... 14