CEDAR CITY — Pounding rain wreaked havoc in Iron County, flooding streets, filling basements, knocking out power and caving in the roof of a large business Saturday.
A total of 2.25 inches of water fell at the Cedar City airport in less than three hours, breaking the all-time daily record of 2.1 inches set back in September 1967, according to the National Weather Service.
That water rushed down streets and into homes. All available officers with the Cedar City Police Department and Iron County Sheriff's Office were on hand helping to clean up the mess.
"Pretty much the whole city was affected by it," Cedar City Police Sgt. Jerry Womack said. The storm left stop lights dark and rushing water forced some temporary road closures.
Womack confirmed a collapsed roof at MetalCraft Technologies, 400 N. 1400 West, was likely brought on by the heavy rains. The company manufactures aerospace components, according to an online profile.
No one was inside the building at the time, and the collapse was discovered by a responding maintenance worker, Womack reported.
Womack was unsure how many homes took on water in Cedar City, or in Enoch where he lives.
"I think Enoch got hit a little harder," Womack said, grateful his home was spared this time around. "We took steps last year in August to make sure it didn't happen again."
The combined rain, wind and lightning knocked out power to two substations just after 6 p.m., leaving 5,700 residents in Cedar City and Enoch in the dark. All power was restored to the area by 8:30 p.m., a Rocky Mountain Power spokesman reported.
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- About Utah: Utah Valley University fills a...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- Suspected DUI driver found in barn hours...
- 'Frozen', Utah style! Slot canyons, arches...
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns considering...
- New prison site not expected to be named...
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt... 87
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 49
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 33
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 23
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed... 23
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 20
- Former SUU rugby player sentenced to... 18
- Inmates turn in handgun and magazine... 18