CEDAR CITY — Pounding rain wreaked havoc in Iron County, flooding streets, filling basements, knocking out power and caving in the roof of a large business Saturday.
A total of 2.25 inches of water fell at the Cedar City airport in less than three hours, breaking the all-time daily record of 2.1 inches set back in September 1967, according to the National Weather Service.
That water rushed down streets and into homes. All available officers with the Cedar City Police Department and Iron County Sheriff's Office were on hand helping to clean up the mess.
"Pretty much the whole city was affected by it," Cedar City Police Sgt. Jerry Womack said. The storm left stop lights dark and rushing water forced some temporary road closures.
Womack confirmed a collapsed roof at MetalCraft Technologies, 400 N. 1400 West, was likely brought on by the heavy rains. The company manufactures aerospace components, according to an online profile.
No one was inside the building at the time, and the collapse was discovered by a responding maintenance worker, Womack reported.
Womack was unsure how many homes took on water in Cedar City, or in Enoch where he lives.
"I think Enoch got hit a little harder," Womack said, grateful his home was spared this time around. "We took steps last year in August to make sure it didn't happen again."
The combined rain, wind and lightning knocked out power to two substations just after 6 p.m., leaving 5,700 residents in Cedar City and Enoch in the dark. All power was restored to the area by 8:30 p.m., a Rocky Mountain Power spokesman reported.
- Teen accused of murdering neighbor now...
- ACT scores, 2015: A breakdown of each state,...
- Mother, former LDS seminary teacher creates...
- The 25 most educated cities in America: Where...
- Police identify man killed in I-80 rollover
- ‘Jackie & Ryan’ showcases beauty...
- Police working to identify boys who left...
- Report: Utah colleges producing degrees with...
- Poll: Utahns would take Donald Trump... 76
- Planned Parenthood draws support,... 70
- GOP presidential candidate Jeb Bush has... 28
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 23
- Commissioner wants new trial as feds... 19
- 'A war on talent': Jobless rate at 3.6... 15
- Teen accused of murdering neighbor now... 14
- Herriman residents upset rehab facility... 13