Ute football: Utah's Trevor Reilly, Jake Murphy making statements as team leaders
“It was a rough one,” Murphy said of the offseason. “A rough one for sure.”
In two seasons of conference play in the Pac-12, Utah is 7-11. The record includes five setbacks of 10 points or less, including three last season — USC (38-28), UCLA (21-14) and Arizona (34-24).
“A lot of those games we were in them. We’re in those games and we feel like we can win those games,” Murphy said. “We just need to close those games and get that win. It’s definitely motivating.”
Another component is also in play.
“We’re determined to get this thing right and the biggest component to achieving that is through recruiting,” said Whittingham, who estimates that three-quarters of the players who signed with Utah over the past two years did so because of the school's Pac-12 affiliation. “... We feel like our recruiting has been ramped up and we’re hoping to see that manifest in the upcoming years.”
While noting that everything circles back to that aspect, Whittingham admits that losses the past two seasons have been frustrating.
“But we’ve got a job to do and we’re doing everything we can to get that job done,” he said.
EXTRA POINTS: Murphy and Reilly are on preseason national watch lists for the Mackey (top tight end) and Butkus (top linebacker) awards. ... Murphy has dropped his weight from 260 to 250 with 10 percent body fat to become quicker and have more flexibility. Fellow tight end Westlee Tonga has also gotten more lean. ... Utah officials are reporting a season-ticket renewal rate of 98 percent for the third-consecutive year. ... The Utes have no plans to overhaul their current uniforms until 2014.
- 2015 Deseret News NFL Mock Draft: Wide...
- BYU offense looking to move the ball, put up...
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors continues to make...
- Little offense as main players sit out Ute...
- Dick Harmon: Only joy for BYU's Jordan...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Kyle Whittingham just glad...
- Dave Rose hires May as BYU's director of...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big year...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big... 90
- Ultimate football road trips:... 48
- Brighton wide receiver Simi Fehoko... 42
- Morning links: Duke in pursuit of Lone... 38
- Morning links: ESPN calls Utah a dark... 34
- BYU edges Utah, 7-6, with eighth-inning... 32
- BYU's basketball roster undergoing... 29
- Doug Robinson: Lindsey's bold moves... 22