Shrinking reservoirs causing headaches for fishing, boating in Utah
Low reservoirs also expose new hazards for boaters, so being out on the water requires a more watchful eye, he said.
Hayes said while most waters remain viable for boating, as the water levels drop, the worries increase.
"We're a little worried about some of the lakes losing some of our launching facilities," he said. "Some of them don't go out very far to accommodate really low water."
Ironically, the North Marina at Willard Bay State Park — which just opened July 19 after being closed for four months due to a diesel fuel pipeline spill — may have to close again if the water gets to low.
"It is built on the Great Salt Lake flats and if it silts in the marina, you can't get a boat out. The passage way is silted in."
Hayes said the area has been dredged a few times, but there is that possibility the silt will build up again.
"It becomes a mud flat between the launching facilities and the rest of the lake," Hayes said.
Still, Cushing said the there is good news to be found in the face of Utah's shriveling waterways.
"Although access is not what it should be and we have had some fish kills, but everything but the low to mid-level reservoirs are fishing very well well."
He added that this summer has been reminiscent of the drought years in the early 2000's.
"Utah is a desert state by nature and so you can expect these drought cycles," he said, "but that was a pretty rough stretch back then. We don't need that again. We need snowpack that is 100 percent or better, in the right places at the right time, so we hold that snow, hold that groundwater and have some runoff to fill our reservoirs."
Hayes, too, has his hopes pinned on winter snowfall.
"If we have another year like this year, we will be in trouble statewide and not just with recreation, with water supply."
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- New Salt Lake County ordinance mandates pet...
- Most wanted fugitive arrested in West Valley...
- Could elephants' 'superhero' cancer guardian...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Couple charged with stealing Hondas from TRAX...
- Thousands get in on blue foam craze for...
- UVU now the largest university in Utah, new...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 62
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 41
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 41
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 33
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 26
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 19
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17