Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — In Nielsen’s July 2013 sweeps household ratings released Thursday, KSL TV-Channel 5 was the leader in early evening news, winning at 5 and 6 p.m.
In late-news ratings, KUTV-Channel 2 remains in the top spot for evening news Monday through Friday, followed by KSL TV, KSTU-Channel 13 and KTVX-Channel 4.
KSL TV produced three of the top five newscasts among 13 news programs offered between 4 and 7 p.m. KUTV was slightly behind KSL in the early evening.
“For us, the big story is the win at 5 and 6 p.m.,” said Tanya Vea, KSL’s executive vice president of news. “With the combined newsroom (TV, radio, web and print), we have a good team and a deep team. We’ve been very focused on delivering strong news content and highlighting the value of what we bring in the market from a news perspective, which is substance. We held steady from last July and are a full year into our new anchor team now. It shows we are building back up from some pretty significant changes last year.”
KUTV also claimed the top spot for late newscasts on Saturday and Sunday.
“We were obviously pleased with our performance,” said Kent Crawford, KUTV’s vice president and general manager. “We feel we are resonating with Utahns as far as news viewership.”
KSL/NBC came in No. 1 in primetime programming from 7-10 p.m. with a household rating of 3.8. KUTV/CBS was second at 3.1 and KTVX/ABC was third with 2.4.
In the Late Fringe Monday-Friday category, KSL was No. 1 with Jay Leno’s "Tonight Show" (3.2), No. 5 with Jimmy Fallon (1.6) and No. 7 with Carson Daly (1.1) among 26 programs.
“The strong performance of the July book gives us a great springboard toward our new fall lineup,” said Tami Ostmark, KSL’s vice president of marketing and research.
KSL TV and the Deseret News are both owned by Deseret Management Corporation.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical coming to Salt...
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are...
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s...
- Wacky 'Mr. Peabody and Sherman' makes history...
- Kids are still reading 'Calvin and Hobbes'
- First look at modernized 'Annie' produced by...
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical coming to... 31
- 'Son of God' is strong on production,... 20
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s... 18
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Our love-hate... 11
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are... 9
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going... 8
- 2014 Oscars played it safe, but was... 6
- Kids are still reading 'Calvin and Hobbes' 6