Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — In Nielsen’s July 2013 sweeps household ratings released Thursday, KSL TV-Channel 5 was the leader in early evening news, winning at 5 and 6 p.m.
In late-news ratings, KUTV-Channel 2 remains in the top spot for evening news Monday through Friday, followed by KSL TV, KSTU-Channel 13 and KTVX-Channel 4.
KSL TV produced three of the top five newscasts among 13 news programs offered between 4 and 7 p.m. KUTV was slightly behind KSL in the early evening.
“For us, the big story is the win at 5 and 6 p.m.,” said Tanya Vea, KSL’s executive vice president of news. “With the combined newsroom (TV, radio, web and print), we have a good team and a deep team. We’ve been very focused on delivering strong news content and highlighting the value of what we bring in the market from a news perspective, which is substance. We held steady from last July and are a full year into our new anchor team now. It shows we are building back up from some pretty significant changes last year.”
KUTV also claimed the top spot for late newscasts on Saturday and Sunday.
“We were obviously pleased with our performance,” said Kent Crawford, KUTV’s vice president and general manager. “We feel we are resonating with Utahns as far as news viewership.”
KSL/NBC came in No. 1 in primetime programming from 7-10 p.m. with a household rating of 3.8. KUTV/CBS was second at 3.1 and KTVX/ABC was third with 2.4.
In the Late Fringe Monday-Friday category, KSL was No. 1 with Jay Leno’s "Tonight Show" (3.2), No. 5 with Jimmy Fallon (1.6) and No. 7 with Carson Daly (1.1) among 26 programs.
“The strong performance of the July book gives us a great springboard toward our new fall lineup,” said Tami Ostmark, KSL’s vice president of marketing and research.
KSL TV and the Deseret News are both owned by Deseret Management Corporation.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt status...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Motley Crue concert delayed about two hours...
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- Imagine Dragons treated like home team at...
- Merged resorts relying on familiar feel to...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 298
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 141
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 106
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 77
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 67
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 39
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35