Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — In Nielsen’s July 2013 sweeps household ratings released Thursday, KSL TV-Channel 5 was the leader in early evening news, winning at 5 and 6 p.m.
In late-news ratings, KUTV-Channel 2 remains in the top spot for evening news Monday through Friday, followed by KSL TV, KSTU-Channel 13 and KTVX-Channel 4.
KSL TV produced three of the top five newscasts among 13 news programs offered between 4 and 7 p.m. KUTV was slightly behind KSL in the early evening.
“For us, the big story is the win at 5 and 6 p.m.,” said Tanya Vea, KSL’s executive vice president of news. “With the combined newsroom (TV, radio, web and print), we have a good team and a deep team. We’ve been very focused on delivering strong news content and highlighting the value of what we bring in the market from a news perspective, which is substance. We held steady from last July and are a full year into our new anchor team now. It shows we are building back up from some pretty significant changes last year.”
KUTV also claimed the top spot for late newscasts on Saturday and Sunday.
“We were obviously pleased with our performance,” said Kent Crawford, KUTV’s vice president and general manager. “We feel we are resonating with Utahns as far as news viewership.”
KSL/NBC came in No. 1 in primetime programming from 7-10 p.m. with a household rating of 3.8. KUTV/CBS was second at 3.1 and KTVX/ABC was third with 2.4.
In the Late Fringe Monday-Friday category, KSL was No. 1 with Jay Leno’s "Tonight Show" (3.2), No. 5 with Jimmy Fallon (1.6) and No. 7 with Carson Daly (1.1) among 26 programs.
“The strong performance of the July book gives us a great springboard toward our new fall lineup,” said Tami Ostmark, KSL’s vice president of marketing and research.
KSL TV and the Deseret News are both owned by Deseret Management Corporation.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: tbtoone
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to...
- BYU student parlays app idea into a life-changer
- Security, firefighters detain woman...
- Sandy man gets prison time in $1.5 million...
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after...
- New Salt Lake fire chief caught in political...
- Larry H. Miller family pulls Tooele County...
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's refusal to...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 43
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 33
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 22
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 20
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 17
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 15
- Mayor responds to pending harassment... 14
- BYU student parlays app idea into a... 12