PRICE — A Carbon County man is facing felony charges after he claimed to have a bomb in the car he was driving and threatened to kill deputies with it, according to prosecutors.
Tracy Don Ambrose, 36, was charged Friday in 7th District Court with making a false alarm related to a weapon of mass destruction and making a threat of terrorism, both second-degree felonies.
Ambrose is also charged with possession of a controlled substance, a class A misdemeanor, and possession of drug paraphernalia, a class B misdemeanor.
Ambrose borrowed a friend's car July 5, but drove off the road about 5:10 p.m. and got the car stuck on a tree stump at 1265 N. Carbonville Road, Carbon County Attorney Gene Strate said.
Two people stopped to help Ambrose, but he threatened them and told them he would "shoot a cop if he needed to," Strate said. When sheriff's deputies responded, Ambrose held up his hand as if it were a gun and told them he would kill them, the prosecutor said.
"His only gun was a finger gun," Strate said, adding that Ambrose also told deputies he had a bomb and planned to detonate it. No bomb was found, but deputies could see two red wires running to a switch inside the car, Strate said.
Ambrose was booked into the Carbon County Jail. His first court appearance has not yet been scheduled.
— Geoff Liesik
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the long...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration
- Husband says he didn't know about wife's...
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held on $6...
- 7 dead babies found in Pleasant Grove garage;...
- Utahns stay out late to see lunar eclipse
- Southern Utah left wanting for water
- Was deal in City Creek shooting plot yanked...
- 7 dead babies found in Pleasant Grove... 74
- Utah attorney general encourages... 57
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 50
- Police nab man suspected of gropings at... 31
- Will Josh Powell's family argue he... 28
- Moab's dilemma: Can recreation coexist... 23
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 23
- Lawmakers to BLM: Sending seized Nevada... 22