PRICE — A Carbon County man is facing felony charges after he claimed to have a bomb in the car he was driving and threatened to kill deputies with it, according to prosecutors.
Tracy Don Ambrose, 36, was charged Friday in 7th District Court with making a false alarm related to a weapon of mass destruction and making a threat of terrorism, both second-degree felonies.
Ambrose is also charged with possession of a controlled substance, a class A misdemeanor, and possession of drug paraphernalia, a class B misdemeanor.
Ambrose borrowed a friend's car July 5, but drove off the road about 5:10 p.m. and got the car stuck on a tree stump at 1265 N. Carbonville Road, Carbon County Attorney Gene Strate said.
Two people stopped to help Ambrose, but he threatened them and told them he would "shoot a cop if he needed to," Strate said. When sheriff's deputies responded, Ambrose held up his hand as if it were a gun and told them he would kill them, the prosecutor said.
"His only gun was a finger gun," Strate said, adding that Ambrose also told deputies he had a bomb and planned to detonate it. No bomb was found, but deputies could see two red wires running to a switch inside the car, Strate said.
Ambrose was booked into the Carbon County Jail. His first court appearance has not yet been scheduled.
— Geoff Liesik
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Utah mother who left 11-month-old in hot car...
- Attorney general deciding whether to appeal...
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Trial ordered for Cameo Crispi, accused of...
- Donations to North Salt Lake family displaced...
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh Hewitt...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 53
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 42
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 35
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 26
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 22