PRICE — A Carbon County man is facing felony charges after he claimed to have a bomb in the car he was driving and threatened to kill deputies with it, according to prosecutors.
Tracy Don Ambrose, 36, was charged Friday in 7th District Court with making a false alarm related to a weapon of mass destruction and making a threat of terrorism, both second-degree felonies.
Ambrose is also charged with possession of a controlled substance, a class A misdemeanor, and possession of drug paraphernalia, a class B misdemeanor.
Ambrose borrowed a friend's car July 5, but drove off the road about 5:10 p.m. and got the car stuck on a tree stump at 1265 N. Carbonville Road, Carbon County Attorney Gene Strate said.
Two people stopped to help Ambrose, but he threatened them and told them he would "shoot a cop if he needed to," Strate said. When sheriff's deputies responded, Ambrose held up his hand as if it were a gun and told them he would kill them, the prosecutor said.
"His only gun was a finger gun," Strate said, adding that Ambrose also told deputies he had a bomb and planned to detonate it. No bomb was found, but deputies could see two red wires running to a switch inside the car, Strate said.
Ambrose was booked into the Carbon County Jail. His first court appearance has not yet been scheduled.
— Geoff Liesik
- Mentor to Brandon Mull, James Dashner chose...
- Deedee Corradini, Salt Lake's first and only...
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the NFL,...
- Victim of Washington Terrace homicide...
- Utah assails Obama's Clean Power Plan
- Utahns react to death of former Salt Lake...
- Doug Robinson: A Boy Scout for 75 years ......
- K2 The Church's grand opening a neighborhood...
- Gov. Herbert increases pressure on... 55
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 37
- Utah assails Obama's Clean Power Plan 27
- Prison Relocation Commission ready to... 25
- With Healthy Utah stalled, lives still... 19
- Some GOP House members disagree with... 18
- Hope in a crisis: School, community... 18
- Obama plans trip to South Carolina,... 12