PRICE — A Carbon County man is facing felony charges after he claimed to have a bomb in the car he was driving and threatened to kill deputies with it, according to prosecutors.
Tracy Don Ambrose, 36, was charged Friday in 7th District Court with making a false alarm related to a weapon of mass destruction and making a threat of terrorism, both second-degree felonies.
Ambrose is also charged with possession of a controlled substance, a class A misdemeanor, and possession of drug paraphernalia, a class B misdemeanor.
Ambrose borrowed a friend's car July 5, but drove off the road about 5:10 p.m. and got the car stuck on a tree stump at 1265 N. Carbonville Road, Carbon County Attorney Gene Strate said.
Two people stopped to help Ambrose, but he threatened them and told them he would "shoot a cop if he needed to," Strate said. When sheriff's deputies responded, Ambrose held up his hand as if it were a gun and told them he would kill them, the prosecutor said.
"His only gun was a finger gun," Strate said, adding that Ambrose also told deputies he had a bomb and planned to detonate it. No bomb was found, but deputies could see two red wires running to a switch inside the car, Strate said.
Ambrose was booked into the Carbon County Jail. His first court appearance has not yet been scheduled.
— Geoff Liesik
- Prison inmates start hunger strike, demand...
- One year later: Slow movement on slide repairs
- Teens arrested, rancher cleared after...
- Payson woman found dead in duffel bag near...
- What went right: How one Orem family turned...
- Salt Lake County cities, school districts...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Herriman man says his brain tumor felt like a...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 144
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 48
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay... 36
- Prison inmates start hunger strike,... 28
- Salt Lake protesters take their message... 18
- Gov. Herbert tours state prison to... 16
- Salt Lake County cities, school... 15
- Teens arrested, rancher cleared after... 11