PRICE — A Carbon County man is facing felony charges after he claimed to have a bomb in the car he was driving and threatened to kill deputies with it, according to prosecutors.
Tracy Don Ambrose, 36, was charged Friday in 7th District Court with making a false alarm related to a weapon of mass destruction and making a threat of terrorism, both second-degree felonies.
Ambrose is also charged with possession of a controlled substance, a class A misdemeanor, and possession of drug paraphernalia, a class B misdemeanor.
Ambrose borrowed a friend's car July 5, but drove off the road about 5:10 p.m. and got the car stuck on a tree stump at 1265 N. Carbonville Road, Carbon County Attorney Gene Strate said.
Two people stopped to help Ambrose, but he threatened them and told them he would "shoot a cop if he needed to," Strate said. When sheriff's deputies responded, Ambrose held up his hand as if it were a gun and told them he would kill them, the prosecutor said.
"His only gun was a finger gun," Strate said, adding that Ambrose also told deputies he had a bomb and planned to detonate it. No bomb was found, but deputies could see two red wires running to a switch inside the car, Strate said.
Ambrose was booked into the Carbon County Jail. His first court appearance has not yet been scheduled.
— Geoff Liesik
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- Two rescued after falling through ice at...
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 38
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 26
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 23
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14