Ask Angela: Marriage: I think no, he thinks yes — now what?
My boyfriend and I have been praying about getting married. I’ve received a very clear “No,” while he says he continues to get the answer “Yes, we should do it.” When I told him the answer to my prayers he said, “You must be praying wrong, keep praying and let me know when you get the right answer.”
His kind of annoying response aside, how can I know if I should marry him once and for all?
Good call on putting his response aside. In fact, put it as far to the side as you possibly can.
Trust the answer that you received from the Lord and politely (if you feel like being polite) say goodbye to the man (boy?) who doesn’t trust your ability to receive revelation.
Easier said than done — but really, remember the counsel of Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He said, while talking about decision-making, “With any major decision there are cautions and considerations to make, but once there has been illumination, beware the temptation to retreat from a good thing. If it was right when you prayed about it and trusted it and lived for it, it is right now. Don’t give up when the pressure mounts.”
In your scenario, your “illumination” was a very clear answer from your Father in heaven. The “good thing” was learning through prayer that someone is not right for you and the “pressure” that is mounting is someone trying to dissuade you from something that you know and feel deeply to be correct.
You know what to do. No one can give you a better answer than the one you’ve already received. Trust yourself on this one.
Readers: What is your process for making tough decisions? Have your choices ever caused your loved ones to doubt you? How do you deal?
Angela Trusty is a young adult advice columnist. Twitter: angelatrusty
- Son shares story of miraculous reunion with...
- Is your financial house in order? 10...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph Smith's vision of...
- 'Saturday's Warrior' director shares details...
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Do you fit the Mormon...
- LDS missionaries cover David Archuleta's...
- Old Rock Church tours open doors to historic...
- Senate adds religious freedom amendment to...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph Smith's... 41
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Do you fit the... 33
- Who decides if a law restricts a... 22
- 'Saturday's Warrior' director shares... 17
- The Rohingyas: A look into one of the... 8
- 34 of the most beautiful churches from... 8
- Who are ‘the least of... 8
- Senate adds religious freedom amendment... 8