The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Newsroom released a commentary on July 25 called “The Relevance of Religion,” which explores religion’s place in today’s world, especially amidst modern advances.
“As times change, new circumstances present new challenges and possibilities,” the commentary reads. “And yet, through it all, this immemorial longing we call religion continues on.”
The article asks what role religion plays in life today.
“What does religion mean in the actual lives of people? What role does religion play in forming communities? And how do religious beliefs address life’s most difficult problems? Such matters cannot be reduced to mere politics; they are perennial concerns, deeply interwoven in humanity’s rich fabric.”
The commentary is divided into four sections: resilience amid change, the good of religion, modernity in fragments and religion’s place in the whole.
The piece said religion can coexist with differing beliefs and add more meaning to life.
“With mutual respect and civility we can all live, even flourish, with our deepest differences. As long as we continue to seek meaning, purpose and community, religion will remain not only relevant but an essential part of what it means to be human.”
- Germany: Syrian asylum seekers blows himself...
- President and Sister Uchtdorf visit site of...
- Mormon Mentions: Bryce Harper posts about his...
- James Dobson joins evangelicals for Trump
- Donald Trump's 'evangelical moment' during...
- In Germany, secular...
- Muslims celebrate lifting of Lagos hijab ban
- Does Hollywood demean — or misrepresent...
- President Uchtdorf visits refugees;... 30
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 24
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 18
- Donald Trump's 'evangelical moment'... 12
- What motivates (the few) evangelicals... 12
- Can Hillary Clinton finally close the... 12
- James Dobson joins evangelicals for Trump 11
- How would you describe God in just one... 11