Ute, BYU football: Utah-BYU games not 'grandfathered' into Pac-12 schedule ... yet
“It’s been good. Travel wears on you a little bit, but I think overall it’s well worth your time,” Whittingham said. “It’s good for the conference. It’s good for our program. It’s good for the university. So it’s a good thing.”
TOGETHER AGAIN: Utah tight end Jake Murphy and defensive end Trevor Reilly joined two players from each Pac-12 team for dinner at a steakhouse Thursday night. For Murphy, it was a reunion of sorts with American Fork neighbor Xavier Su’a-Filo. He’s been buddies with UCLA’s 6-foot-3, 304-pound All-American offensive lineman since about eight grade.
“It was good to see him again and meet the other players,” Murphy said. “We just kind of hung out and talked. It was fun.”
Other players attending media day included: wide receiver Terrence Miller (Arizona), linebacker Jake Fischer (Arizona), quarterback Trevor Kelly (Arizona State), defensive tackle Will Sutton (Arizona State), wide receiver Bryce Treggs (California), linebacker Nick Forbes (California), wide receiver Paul Richardson (Colorado), defensive end Chidera Uzo-Diribe (Colorado), quarterback Marcus Mariota (Oregon), cornerback Ifo Ekpre-Olomu (Oregon), wide receiver Brandin Cooks (Oregon State), defensive back Rashaad Reynolds (Oregon State), offensive lineman David Yankey (Stanford), linebacker Shayne Skov (Stanford), linebacker Anthony Barr (UCLA), wide receiver Marqise Lee (USC), linebacker Hayes Pullard (USC), quarterback Keith Price (Washington), defensive back Sean Parker (Washington), offensive lineman Elliott Bosch (Washington State) and defensive back Deone Bucannon (Washington State).
OTHER OPTIONS: When asked about getting the Pac-12 Networks on DirecTV, Scott pulled out a list of 50 sports channels (big, small, national, regional) that are currently carried by the provider. Adding the Pac-12’s programming, however, doesn’t appear to be imminent.
“We feel bad that our fans are in this position,” said Scott, who noted that the carrier has drawn a line in the sand for whatever reason and has stopped investing in sports.
“We’re getting rope-a-doped by DirecTV,” said Scott, who wants to give fans as much notice as possible to explore options as the football season approaches.
The Pac-12 has introduced an assistance program on its official website (Pac-12.org) to help fans make the switch.
- AP source: Irving, Barnes finish US Olympic...
- Federer out to turn around frustrating season...
- With 1-0 loss to Colombia, US finishes 4th in...
- Ipsen, Hixon get Olympic 3-meter spots,...
- National champion Sam Mikulak leads US men's...
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 167
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 81
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 68
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 58
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 45
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 43
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 29
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 24