SALT LAKE CITY — A women-only red carpet premiere of “Austenland” will be Tuesday, Aug. 6, at the Broadway Centre Cinema and Salt Lake Film Society is hosting an afternoon tea as part of a fundraiser.
The “Afternoon Tea in Austenland” is limited to 70 for the 1 p.m. event at the Grand America Hotel. Utah author Shannon Hale, who wrote the book the movie is based on, will be at the tea and will do a question and answer after the movie, said Barb Guy, director of public relations and marketing for the Salt Lake Film Society.
The Salt Lake Film Society is a non-profit that helps with the mandate to replace film projectors with new digital technology, Guy said.
“Austenland” follows Colin Firth-as-Mr.-Darcy-obssessed Jane Hayes (Keri Russell) as she goes to England on a pricey Jane Austen immersion experience run by Mrs. Wattlesworth (Jane Seymour), which includes actors playing potential love interests and Regency-era activities around the grounds. What Jane — named Miss Erstwhile for the immersion experience — finds is a roller coaster of emotions as she navigates her expectations and her heart, attempting to figure out who is acting and who isn’t.
The cast also includes Jennifer Coolidge, James Callis, J.J. Feild, Georgia King, Ricky Whittle and Bret McKenzie. “Austenland” is directed by Jerusha Hess and produced by Stephenie Meyer and has been rated PG-13.
Tickets for the tea are $100 and $200. For information and tickets, see www.eventbee.com/event?eid=133006875
Tickets for the 7 p.m. women-only screening are free and information about availablility will be available on the society's website at slfs.org. Hale will also answer questions and sign books after the movie, Guy said. Weller Book Works will be selling books at the theater.
“Austenland” was screened at the Sundance Film Festival, and Sony Pictures Classic bought the rights to distribute it. It’s scheduled to be released on Aug. 16 in New York and Los Angeles. For information, see sonyclassics.com/austenland.
'Austenland' movie trailer
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: CTRappleye
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Doug Robinson: The Birdman of Utah
- Duchesne County man pleads guilty to federal...
- World-renowned rock art in Utah is younger...
- Part police cruiser, part taxi,...
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- Gov.: Elected officials need to serve... 10
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 10
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Missionary, police testify against man... 8