SALT LAKE CITY — A women-only red carpet premiere of “Austenland” will be Tuesday, Aug. 6, at the Broadway Centre Cinema and Salt Lake Film Society is hosting an afternoon tea as part of a fundraiser.
The “Afternoon Tea in Austenland” is limited to 70 for the 1 p.m. event at the Grand America Hotel. Utah author Shannon Hale, who wrote the book the movie is based on, will be at the tea and will do a question and answer after the movie, said Barb Guy, director of public relations and marketing for the Salt Lake Film Society.
The Salt Lake Film Society is a non-profit that helps with the mandate to replace film projectors with new digital technology, Guy said.
“Austenland” follows Colin Firth-as-Mr.-Darcy-obssessed Jane Hayes (Keri Russell) as she goes to England on a pricey Jane Austen immersion experience run by Mrs. Wattlesworth (Jane Seymour), which includes actors playing potential love interests and Regency-era activities around the grounds. What Jane — named Miss Erstwhile for the immersion experience — finds is a roller coaster of emotions as she navigates her expectations and her heart, attempting to figure out who is acting and who isn’t.
The cast also includes Jennifer Coolidge, James Callis, J.J. Feild, Georgia King, Ricky Whittle and Bret McKenzie. “Austenland” is directed by Jerusha Hess and produced by Stephenie Meyer and has been rated PG-13.
Tickets for the tea are $100 and $200. For information and tickets, see www.eventbee.com/event?eid=133006875
Tickets for the 7 p.m. women-only screening are free and information about availablility will be available on the society's website at slfs.org. Hale will also answer questions and sign books after the movie, Guy said. Weller Book Works will be selling books at the theater.
“Austenland” was screened at the Sundance Film Festival, and Sony Pictures Classic bought the rights to distribute it. It’s scheduled to be released on Aug. 16 in New York and Los Angeles. For information, see sonyclassics.com/austenland.
'Austenland' movie trailer
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: CTRappleye
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- Take a breather: 5 memorable ways to pamper...
- 10 of the most unusual laws in Utah
- Man found shot to death in Cottonwood Heights...
- Splash pad in N. Salt Lake’s Legacy...
- Panel seeks submissions for West Bountiful...
- Mapleton to discuss proposed road fee on June 15
- GOED board OKs grants to help 8 rural businesses
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 113
- Salt Lake's next skyscraper? Proposed... 25
- Sen. Hatch set to tour Utah's national... 18
- Provo forum to explore roles of family,... 18
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in... 11
- Medical marijuana debate focuses on... 10
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become... 8
- San Juan County Commissioner appeals... 8