"ANGELS: Agents of Light, Love and Power," by Donald W. Parry, Deseret Book, $25.95, 260 pages (nf)
Angels exist and they are anxiously engaged in blessing lives.
That's one of several messages shared in Donald W. Parry's new book, "Angels: Agents of Light, Love and Power."
"It is my testimony that angels do exist," the author wrote in the book's introduction. "I testify also that the sacred work of angels continues in our own time. I am convinced that angels are at work among us now."
Parry is a professor of the Hebrew Bible at Brigham Young University. He has served as a member of the international team of translators of the Dead Sea Scrolls for almost 20 years. Parry is also the author or co-author of more than 30 books and numerous articles on the Bible and the Dead Sea Scrolls.
In "Angels," Parry asserts that angels have always been a fascinating topic for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He writes that LDS Church founder Joseph Smith received dozens of communications from angels. During the decades since 1971, general conference speakers have referred to angels or cited scriptures about angels more than 1,400 times. LDS Church leaders have also referred to angels in various official publications.
"One of the things that will become more important in our lives the longer we live is the reality of angels, their work and their ministry," Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve said in Ensign article in 1996. "I refer here not alone to the angel Moroni but also to those more personal ministering angels who are with us and around us, empowered to help us and who do exactly that."
In his book, Parry cautiously uses reliable Mormon sources to address these questions:
- What are angels?
- What powers and abilities are angels given?
- How do angels communicate with mortals?
- What are the assigned missions and roles of angels?
- How do angels reveal truth and teach the doctrines of the gospel?
- How do angels minister to and comfort mortals?
- What is the role of guardian angels in the modern world?
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood' by...
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the 'ultimate...
- LDS growth in India draws media attention
- Redskins find new opponent, supporter of name...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered... 63
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 38
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 34
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 31
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged... 28
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 21
- Ask Angela: Woman shares update on... 20