"ANGELS: Agents of Light, Love and Power," by Donald W. Parry, Deseret Book, $25.95, 260 pages (nf)
Angels exist and they are anxiously engaged in blessing lives.
That's one of several messages shared in Donald W. Parry's new book, "Angels: Agents of Light, Love and Power."
"It is my testimony that angels do exist," the author wrote in the book's introduction. "I testify also that the sacred work of angels continues in our own time. I am convinced that angels are at work among us now."
Parry is a professor of the Hebrew Bible at Brigham Young University. He has served as a member of the international team of translators of the Dead Sea Scrolls for almost 20 years. Parry is also the author or co-author of more than 30 books and numerous articles on the Bible and the Dead Sea Scrolls.
In "Angels," Parry asserts that angels have always been a fascinating topic for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He writes that LDS Church founder Joseph Smith received dozens of communications from angels. During the decades since 1971, general conference speakers have referred to angels or cited scriptures about angels more than 1,400 times. LDS Church leaders have also referred to angels in various official publications.
"One of the things that will become more important in our lives the longer we live is the reality of angels, their work and their ministry," Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve said in Ensign article in 1996. "I refer here not alone to the angel Moroni but also to those more personal ministering angels who are with us and around us, empowered to help us and who do exactly that."
In his book, Parry cautiously uses reliable Mormon sources to address these questions:
- What are angels?
- What powers and abilities are angels given?
- How do angels communicate with mortals?
- What are the assigned missions and roles of angels?
- How do angels reveal truth and teach the doctrines of the gospel?
- How do angels minister to and comfort mortals?
- What is the role of guardian angels in the modern world?
Email: email@example.com Twitter: tbtoone
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Some LDS missionaries coming home from...
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to...
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical coming to Salt...
- LDS leader describes writing Elder Neal A....
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- Actress Leah Remini criticized after...
- Elizabeth Smart encourages BYU audience to...
- Temple tax: European court rules LDS... 98
- Ask Angela: LDS women have unrealistic... 53
- Family of BYU student hit by car say... 39
- When Satan steals your motherhood 36
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to... 35
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical coming to... 31
- Defending the Faith: Where is Mount Sinai? 24
- 'Son of God' is strong on production,... 20