1 killed, 3 injured in Model T crash near Zion National Park
Utah Highway Patrol
SPRINGDALE, Washington County — A Minnesota woman was killed and three others injured Friday when their antique car crashed near Zion National Park.
The vehicle, a 1915 Model T Ford with Minnesota license plates, was on state Route 9 about 10:20 a.m. just outside the park entrance when the driver pulled off to the right side of the road to allow traffic that had built up behind to pass.
As the 19-year-old driver tried to get the old vehicle back onto the pavement, investigators believe he didn't negotiate the small dirt slope properly, and the added weight and stress on the tires caused the wooden spokes on the right front wheel to collapse, causing the vehicle to overturn.
"A modern car with the safety features ... it wouldn't have had any problem getting back on the road," said Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. LaMar Heaton.
All four occupants of the vehicle were ejected. Paramedics worked on Keren Johnson, 51, of Minnesota, for an hour at the scene trying to revive her, Heaton said. But she was later pronounced dead.
Her husband was in another Model T ahead of her, said trooper Jalaine Hawkes. He learned of the accident after backtracking a short time later to find out where they were.
Three others were taken by ambulance to Kane County Hospital, including the driver, Johnson's son, and her 12-year-old granddaughter. Their conditions were not immediately known but their injuries were not believed to be life threatening, Hawkes said.
The group was part of a national Model T club that was meeting in Kanab. About 200 Model T owners were staying in Kanab this week, driving out each day to a different national park or sight-seeing area.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- Fatal Draper house fire was intentionally...
- Fired West Valley officer's defense team goes...
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes into...
- Jordan School District opens doors on its...
- Trial begins for Salt Lake attorney seeking...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 20
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 17
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 17
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 14
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12