Chromecast: Google’s cheap new way to stream online content onto TV
Marcio Jose Sanchez, ASSOCIATED PRESS
On Wednesday Google announced Chromecast, a new device that wirelessly streams online content from tablets and smartphones onto televisions.
“The box dubs it ‘the easiest way to watch online video on your TV,’” Emily Price wrote for tech website Mashable. “During its press conference, Google demonstrated a wireless device that not only connects to your television while hiding behind it, but also is exceptionally easy to operate.”
Although the Chromecast’s features aren’t groundbreaking, the $35 price tag could be a game-changer.
“The Chromecast only supports four apps at launch,” CNET reported Wednesday. “That puts it well behind established players like Roku and Apple TV. However, the big difference is the Chromecast's ultralow $35 price. It's a lot easier to accept those limitations on a $35 device and the low price should also help spread adoption, which in turn should encourage services to include Chromecast at a faster rate.”
Gizmodo’s Brian Barrett is so enthusiastic about the new device that his review is headlined, “You’d be crazy not to buy Google Chromecast.”
“It costs $35 to take a flier on what could well be the best streaming solution we've seen yet,” Barrett wrote. “Not only that, but it comes with three months of free Netflix streaming. Three months, even if you're an existing subscriber. That's a $24 value, which means that you're paying 11 bucks for the future of television. Be honest, you've spent more on a sandwich.”
However, Barrett has updated his post to say Google and Netflix have ended that promotion.
- Black Friday mayhem: A tale of humor and...
- Mark Zuckerberg is taking two months...
- Local free community college plans may be...
- How to avoid scams on Cyber Monday and Giving...
- 5 ways you drive away millennial employees
- U.S. is the richest country, but Americans...
- Since '01, Clintons collected $35M from...
- My view: Bring back the blacksmith: A case...
- 5 ways you drive away millennial employees 14
- Since '01, Clintons collected $35M from... 10
- Pfizer, Allergan $160B deal forms... 7
- My view: Bring back the blacksmith: A... 5
- Local free community college plans may... 3
- Michelle Singletary: Living on campus... 1
- Balancing act: Pause, reflect on... 1
- Mark Zuckerberg is taking two months... 1