Chromecast: Google’s cheap new way to stream online content onto TV
Marcio Jose Sanchez, ASSOCIATED PRESS
On Wednesday Google announced Chromecast, a new device that wirelessly streams online content from tablets and smartphones onto televisions.
“The box dubs it ‘the easiest way to watch online video on your TV,’” Emily Price wrote for tech website Mashable. “During its press conference, Google demonstrated a wireless device that not only connects to your television while hiding behind it, but also is exceptionally easy to operate.”
Although the Chromecast’s features aren’t groundbreaking, the $35 price tag could be a game-changer.
“The Chromecast only supports four apps at launch,” CNET reported Wednesday. “That puts it well behind established players like Roku and Apple TV. However, the big difference is the Chromecast's ultralow $35 price. It's a lot easier to accept those limitations on a $35 device and the low price should also help spread adoption, which in turn should encourage services to include Chromecast at a faster rate.”
Gizmodo’s Brian Barrett is so enthusiastic about the new device that his review is headlined, “You’d be crazy not to buy Google Chromecast.”
“It costs $35 to take a flier on what could well be the best streaming solution we've seen yet,” Barrett wrote. “Not only that, but it comes with three months of free Netflix streaming. Three months, even if you're an existing subscriber. That's a $24 value, which means that you're paying 11 bucks for the future of television. Be honest, you've spent more on a sandwich.”
However, Barrett has updated his post to say Google and Netflix have ended that promotion.
- Helping students 'climb the mountain' of...
- Another study lists Salt Lake as one of the...
- Want to save money in 2015? Here’s your...
- The effect your family has on your financial...
- Survey ranks Utah's best and worst commutes
- Kimberly Rotter: 7 weird things that affect...
- Ashley Eneriz: Why you need to start treating...
- Randy Shumway: The winners and losers of...
- Another study lists Salt Lake as one of... 10
- Survey ranks Utah's best and worst... 9
- Helping students 'climb the mountain'... 8
- Survey finds US more attractive place... 3
- Want to save money in 2015?... 3
- Creative license: Rethinking the... 2
- Kimberly Rotter: 7 weird things that... 1
- Hard-hit worker wonders where the... 1